Would this Graphics card work?

dorfman said:
i don't know if you want to try that, because the vid card could fry the psu, and cause some melting...it might damage your system.

thats very unlikely. It's probably just going to shut down, give u a bad fps etc. Though it's probably going to work fine when not gaming. But I wouldn't worry about destroying the psu, unless it actually works fine and u are going to be using it for years. (it's not good for the psu to be constantly running at max usage)

hascet said:
well, idk if it does actually require 350W, because it says no where on new egg what the requirements are, so if it says on the box that it requires 350W psu then i'll return it

it has a requirement of about 250W-300W. Used google, some sites say that it's 250W, some say it's 300W. But it depends on other hardware too.

mammikoura said:
thats very unlikely. It's probably just going to shut down, give u a bad fps etc. Though it's probably going to work fine when not gaming. But I wouldn't worry about destroying the psu, unless it actually works fine and u are going to be using it for years. (it's not good for the psu to be constantly running at max usage)

you should read reviews on new egg, about the psu exploding, and melting, and ruining the mobo...would it happen right away not, but it would get very hott running at max wattage for a long time...and could cause some damage.

actually i would say it could be lucky, if the video card has a separate power source to hook up to it i would be careful. some psu's don't have as good of a 12v rail in them and even if they are the correct rated power will fry. i smoke checked a new 450w psu when i put in my 9800XT, went back to work and bought a nicer one that was also 450w and it works just dandy. anyway, be careful and do your research, one good idea would be to check the manufacturers website for more info, don't just rely on new egg.

dorfman said:
you should read reviews on new egg, about the psu exploding, and melting, and ruining the mobo...would it happen right away not, but it would get very hott running at max wattage for a long time...and could cause some damage.

I ran 3.0Ghz p4, 512mb of ram, 2 hdds and a fx5700 vid card for about 3 years with a 180W psu. Not a single problem with it, exept that I really couldn't oc at all since even a very small increase in vid card clock speeds caused a drop in fps. I'm guessing this was because it didn't have enough power. But it ran those 3 years fine without ever giving any signs of giving up. And it was a cheap psu too.

mammikoura said:
I ran 3.0Ghz p4, 512mb of ram, 2 hdds and a fx5700 vid card for about 3 years with a 180W psu. Not a single problem with it, exept that I really couldn't oc at all since even a very small increase in vid card clock speeds caused a drop in fps. I'm guessing this was because it didn't have enough power. But it ran those 3 years fine without ever giving any signs of giving up. And it was a cheap psu too.

we call that goodluck.. haha

dorfman said:
we call that goodluck.. haha

lol, true indeed!
When I got that pc I didn't know anything about computers, and it just always worked fine so I didn't need to do anything to it. Then when I got more interested in computers and checked my psu I almost crapped in my pants when I realised how weak it was. But I didn't bother changing it for about a year because I was going to get a new pc anyway.

ya hopefully this is just temporary till i can build a new computer, but it may stay with me for a while who knows, but i'm gonna go with it and see what happens

i bought a 7950 couple of months back and my psu cudnt handle it, i got frequent crashes etc and reboots. But i have read in a few places that too much strain on the psu by devices tryin to draw more power than it can provide can damage the psu, the card and other things in the pc. Makes sense when u think about it. Maybe u shud spend some money on a new case and psu if u can afford it, my bro spent loads on a sony desktop pc only to find it took him 3 hours to find out how to open the case lol and then he cudnt upgrade the stupid thing. sounds like an unusual psu btw. never seen one that thin b4.

oh and the heat of the pc wud increase a lot if its under strain, so make sure u have decent cooling. just keep an eye on temps

good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom