Hard Drive Swap

david6789

Baseband Member
I want to swap out my HD for a new one. But I do not have the WIN XP CDs or the Retoral CDs for this computer. I purchased it used from a pawn show. What is the fastest/easiest way to put in a new HD and put all my data from the orginal HD onto it??

thanks
Dave

i would suggest using a hard drive imaging software like acronis true image 9, or norton ghost 10. make a image (which will be a compressed image) of your hard drive on external media like cd's, dvd's, or an external hard drive (external hard drive is the easiest), swap out your internal hard drive to a new one, format it to ntfs, and put the image which you had saved on the external media onto the new hard drive that is in the computer.

The new drive should come with a Floppy or CD with software that will transfer the contents of the old drive to the new drive.

Atomic Rooster said:
The new drive should come with a Floppy or CD with software that will transfer the contents of the old drive to the new drive.

Never seen one of these disks, but it has been a while since i've bought retail stuff.

Yea, they usually only come with the retail versions. But you can download the software from the drive manufacturer's website. :D

Erm i've never seen that, but the only software I got from HD manf is seagate bootable disc, and disc wizard to reformat and etc. Plus I don't go retail

Seagate's DiscWizard will partition, format, and copy all your files from an old drive to the new one.

Back
Top Bottom