internet problems

Ronco Rox

Fully Optimized
hey guys, my friend needs a little help. he needs some help because i'm not that great with networking stuff.

his computer will not connect to the internet at all. he has an HP Pavilion a1203w.

this is what i have done and failed at each attempt for it to connect.

i reinstalled the drivers for ethernet, directly connected the ethernet cable from the computer to the jack,(excluding the router showing that the router wasn't the problem) and i witched the 2 ethernet cables around proving that both weren't bad.

now heres the weird thing. the router has another ethernet cable running into his sisters room and she is able to get online but he isn't. the computer reconizes that there is a connection trying to be made because an icon pops up saying that, there is "limited or no connectivity."

any ideas on what to do? thanks.

The router is not assigning that computer an IP address. Log into the router and make sure it's setup for DHCP, and for more than one computer. Depends on the router for the admin username and password. If it is a cable modem, anytime you go directly to the modem from the PC, after removing the cable from the router, you should power cycle each- modem first, then router. This should give you a direct connection to the Internet. Hope this helps.

oh btw i forgot to add this in.

when i went to the device manager, there was an exclamation point next to the SCIS/RAID Host Controller or something like that. could this have anything to do with it?

i googled it and i found a post on a forum saying it was when you install a scanner, which my friend just has.

Ronco Rox said:
oh btw i forgot to add this in.

when i went to the device manager, there was an exclamation point next to the SCIS/RAID Host Controller or something like that. could this have anything to do with it?

the exclamation point in devise manager is saying that there is a hardware error or a driver's error. a hardware error meaning it can't detect it, or a corrupt driver error.

Back
Top Bottom