RAM upgrading problems

Vipul1

In Runtime
Hey im new to this forums and i wanted to know reasons for the conflict occuring while turning on my computer after upgrading to a
TWINMOS PC3200 512MB DDR-DIMM 400

My computer specs are:
Intel Pentium 4
2.66GHZ
512MB DDR333
Geforce FX5500

My dad inserted the chip into the slot and turned on the computer and there were *beeps* that aroused for about 3seconds and the computer monitor wouldn't turn on. We removed the new RAM chip and tried turning the computer on with the old one and it worked perfectly fine. My dad's thoughts were that the clock speeds were different. So are there any other reasons or is there any other way of making it work? My computer has 2 RAM slots

thanks

It's true that they are different speeds. It could be that your computer doesn't support DDR 400 (unlikely). It could be a bad stick of DDR 400- which is most likely the case. The beep codes, will also tell you what the problem is- check your manual and see if it lists them. If you can't find it there- check the Web site of the motherboard- it should tell you. We know that RAM is a problem, we just are not sure if it doesn't support it, or if it's bad- the beep codes should tell.

Well i think its most unlikely its a bad stick, anyways i will go and exchange it for a PC2700 DDR333 is thats the only solution.

I've checked the beep codes and it says that its a 64K memory failure. The one which i got with the computer is a 16K memory. So yeh we need a 16K memory base for compatibility.

are you sure you stuck it in the all the way? Because I know a lot of people who stick their ram in half-assed, and when they boot their comp and they get beep errors.

When you clicked your ram in did the clip sides click up autuomatically?

GodTom47 said:
are you sure you stuck it in the all the way? Because I know a lot of people who stick their ram in half-assed, and when they boot their comp and they get beep errors.

When you clicked your ram in did the clip sides click up autuomatically?

Yeh im sure i have inserted the right way and yes the clips clipped it automatically after having applied quite an amount of pressure.

Vipul said:
Its an Intel D845EPI, maybe i need to update my BIOS
It doesn't support DDR400

Memory

Two 184-pin DDR SDRAM DIMM sockets
Support for single-sided or double-sided DIMMs (DDR 333/266/200)
Support for up to 2 GB system memory

SOURCE

Vipul said:
.... anyways i will go and exchange it for a PC2700 DDR333 is thats the only solution..
That's the answer.

Back
Top Bottom