GameRail

MikeReiner

Golden Master
http://hardware.gotfrag.com/portal/story/34782/?spage=1

www.gamerail.com

Edit: FINALLY THE FREAKING THING POSTED... these time outs whenever I try to make a new thread piss me off so much.. anyway..

this service apparently uses an alternate line over standard internet... more direct routes.. resulting in lower ping. For me, this would be useful.. as my connection 'hops' all over the damn place.. resulting in 80ms to someone who lives just a block away and has the exact same internet provider and package...

I signed up for the beta!

The concept is interesting, but it might come out to be like the PhysX from Ageia. Hyped up and over nothing.

alvino said:
The concept is interesting, but it might come out to be like the PhysX from Ageia. Hyped up and over nothing.
Yeah well, bare in mind, this is a much more straight forward connection.. if it practices what it preaches, this could be VERY nice. It would sell me, easily.

It's a good concept, but you would only be able to play with other people on this network, correct? Sounds like Xbox Live for the PC. I'd probably think about buying it, and end up not bothering with it. I do like the idea though...if this guy rolls out the idea correctly he could make a LOT of money.

freestyler105 said:
It's a good concept, but you would only be able to play with other people on this network, correct? Sounds like Xbox Live for the PC. I'd probably think about buying it, and end up not bothering with it. I do like the idea though...if this guy rolls out the idea correctly he could make a LOT of money.
No, other people don't HAVE to have it in order to connect.. it would just be better if they did.

If you are running gamerail and you try to connect to a server running gamerail, your packets wont go down the main tunnel your ISP gives you, it will take a faster route, resulting in lower ping. if the server does not have gamerail, it will just use the main tunnel. So there is no restrictions..

MikeReiner said:
Yeah well, bare in mind, this is a much more straight forward connection.. if it practices what it preaches, this could be VERY nice. It would sell me, easily.

Which is what everyone thought PhysX would do. All the current titles that support PhysX hardly get any physics change and some games actually have a lower framerate. Look at the Alan Wake demo at Intel Developer Forum 2006. It was running on a quad-core with quad SLI. They're using each core for different things like sound, physics, AI etc. The game is completely multithreaded and they even said that single-core processors probably won't be supported considering how mainstream dual-cores are. That is the future of gaming.

Ageia's idea was great, but not executed well enough. If GameRail can execute this nicely, they might find me as a customer soon enough. My only concern is if this is purely for gaming, or can you use this as internet as well. Imagine downloading movies and such with this. The latency and speeds would be so much faster. :D

alvino said:
Which is what everyone thought PhysX would do. All the current titles that support PhysX hardly get any physics change and some games actually have a lower framerate. Look at the Alan Wake demo at Intel Developer Forum 2006. It was running on a quad-core with quad SLI. They're using each core for different things like sound, physics, AI etc. The game is completely multithreaded and they even said that single-core processors probably won't be supported considering how mainstream dual-cores are. That is the future of gaming.

Ageia's idea was great, but not executed well enough. If GameRail can execute this nicely, they might find me as a customer soon enough. My only concern is if this is purely for gaming, or can you use this as internet as well. Imagine downloading movies and such with this. The latency and speeds would be so much faster. :D
If it isn't clear to you, I think you need to re-read it.

GameRail is an 'addon' to your ISP, so to speak. not a different ISP.
Let me put it this way.

Say you are running GameRail, and you attempt to connect to a server running GameRail. When you start sending out packets to it, it will break off from the main tunnel that all internet traffic uses, and switch to the gamerail line, giving you a more direct connection to the server, thus reducing ping. If you try to connect to a non-gamerail server, then it will just take the main tunnel. (most websites probably wont be using gamerail..)

The reason i think this is more promising than hardware has been (such as quad core or the physx card) is because this isn't exactly hardware...(Like the killerNic for example) I mean if it does what it says it does, it will make your packets go to their destination without screwing around (going to places in the opposite direction, for example) it WILL lower ping.. ping gets added depending on the distance it travels. Take this is an example:

A friend of mine lives just a block away, we have the same ISP and speed package, yet we have about 80 ping between us, why? because our packets go clear out to the west coast, then loops back past us into the center of the US, then back to us, adding millisecond after millisecond. If the packets just headed towards their destination without making so many side-trips, it would get there faster, shaving off precious milliseconds.

Yeah yeah i'm rambling on, and I see your point.. so mer. Hopefully this will succeed unlike that physics card.

Ah, okay. Thanks for clarifying. I just hope they have good support when it comes out. It would suck to see only one or two servers using GameRail.

Back
Top Bottom