Help Setting up a server???

Reiyoku

In Runtime
Hello

I have the following link up in my home network.

NTL Set Top box >> Prestige ZYXEL Router >> My Computer
Computer 2
Computer 3
Computer 4

So I am planning on building a server up so I can host my own websites and possibly host other stuff, and I want to fit it in this setup like this

NTL Set Top box >> Prestige ZYXEL Router >> My Computer
Computer 2
Computer 3
Computer 4
New Server.

But I want it so it is seperated just like all the other computurs but just as a server instead so it's getting it's connection just like mine and othe other computers in the house.

Ok could somone give me some breif information on how to set up a server or how they advise me setting it up...

Now from here I want to install the the packages on it. lets just pretend I have my server machine and It's compleatly blank and ready to be used.

What would I need to install on it....
I've heard you just need to isntall Windows Server 2003 or something on it then it's done isn't it..

If not could somone please tell me how I could do this and what packages I would need to use and how I would go about monitoring it and how to deal with it when I've done it...

Thanks for reading.

Dom Young.

Sorry Close one of these down, the site made me double post because of an error message....

dude, there is soooo much more to it than that...the easiest way to get started is setup the router firewall so your network is pretty secure. then it will split off to all your computers. if you dont have enough ports, you can get another switch to piggypack off the router...from there. it is install and live and learn...

What other stuff would I need to do, I don't want all my machines to run of this server I just want it to act as a normal desktop pc in my household but to host websites could you perhaps give me a re run on how to set this up please..

Help would be great :D

Thanks alot

Dom Young

You will need apache, or some Linux hosting OS..

Also, if you are hosting websites from it, your internet has to be speedy fast..

IronMaiden6669 said:
What other stuff would I need to do, I don't want all my machines to run of this server I just want it to act as a normal desktop pc in my household but to host websites could you perhaps give me a re run on how to set this up please..

Help would be great :D

Thanks alot

Dom Young

By default the server will only do what you tell it to do, so if you tell it to run a website it's going to do that.

The type of server that PC's "run off of" is called an active directory domain controller, which has nothing to do with what your doing.

Think you could give me any advice on how to do that, I think it's called web hosting? or give me a step by step?

Basicly you choose an Operating System you want to run the server on (Usually Windows 2000 / 2003 or A linux flavor (Ubuntu, etc).

Usually on windows server (Server 2000 and Server 2003 ONLY) you run IIS which is microsoft's web server.

For *nix based systems, the most common is Apache 2.

Research what operating system and what server software you are going to use first, it's better if you research this yourself as their is no simple answer for everyone.

And the other step you need to do is usually port foward the correct port (80) on your router to your webserver. You have to make sure the webserver has a static IP however.

you will probley be best paying a webhosting company to host your website, as they charge around £5 a mounth to host a small site, if you set-up your own you need to buy a server thats around £300-£1000 and if you want windows 2003 web or standard you need to buy the software lience which can be a lot depening on how many cals you need

Back
Top Bottom