XP reformatting help plz!

DarkNemesis

Solid State Member
Let me start off my saying i'm a complete noob when it comes to computers, so bare with me plz. So i came up with the idea to start anew with my computer and I decided to format(by new i mean getting rid of everything, just like buying a new hd). I load up my xp cd, and i choose fresh install. My computer restarts and gets to the setup screen. It tells me I can install over or delete partitions. Here's where I get stuck, I guessed that a partition is one part of your hard drive( I only have one). I press D to delete but it tells me I can't cause theres temporary something files that if i deleted won't allow me to install. So I just install over it into the same partition. When I finally finish installing I see that in my C: drive theres still my old users around and I'm already 186GB/250GB(haven't touched anything yet). So basically I now think that i have to make a new partition to delete the old one.. but i can't make a new one. Anywyas i read on a site to go to computer management and by accident I converted into dynamic disk. Now i don't know what to do at all. plz someone help me to get a fresh copy of xp onto my computer with nothing else. THANKS! if any of you want to ask me personally about the problems, email jnemesis8@gmail.com.

DISCLAIMER: if you are a n00b, you will not like this process. Depending on who you bought the PC from, this can be painless or a pain in the ass!

Details: Guess the first thing is for you to let us know who is the PC made by and more importantly, does it come with a RESTORE CD or an OEM copy of WXPP.

NittyGritty: either way, you should boot to the CD. You may have to enter your BIOS to change the boot order, or some PC's like HP and Dell let you strike F12 to change the boot order once. Whichever the case may be, change the boot order so that your HD boots LAST. Insert that CD that came with the computer and reinstall your software.

Let us know more info before i get further...

welcome to computerforums!!! yes,,,chose delete,,,,this will delete the one partition on the hard drive that is there now....then in the setup process you will fortmat the drive wiping it clean, and windows will install itself in a new, fresh, single partition.

It was custom built.. so i go into bios and change the boot order for cd to first and hd to go last? and i can't delete the partition.. it says temporary setup files are needed for install to continue. how do i get rid of this partition and start a new one with no information on it at all

Any help? I've read up on the internet and am trying to use partition magic to turn the dynamic into basic and deleting the partition since the other ways you mentioned don't work. Hope it works! :D

If it was custom built, you should have an OEM disc. Boot to the CD, and choose install XP. Then accept the license agreement (F8). Then it will search for previous versions of Windows. This is where it gets a little trickey.....

Choose D to delete the partition. Then you will have to choose L (I believe) to continue the delete. Then it should revert back to where you see one large drive unpartioned. If you're starting new, I would format about 10GB for the Windows partion, and go from there. The reason I suggest this is for later.

So, at the prompt where it allows you to choose disk space, type in 10000. Then Windows starts installing.

If it keeps telling you that it needs temp files to install, it sounds as if you don't have a CD, and a restore partion is created on the hard drive. See if the above works, and post back. If possible, give a step by step of what you are seeing and choosing per screen- because, honestly, I've installed a many OS, and haven't seen anything about temp files- these are usually loaded into memory on most computers. Let us know how it goes.

DarkNemesis said:
Any help? I've read up on the internet and am trying to use partition magic to turn the dynamic into basic and deleting the partition since the other ways you mentioned don't work. Hope it works! :D

if i am reading you correctly, you are inserting the disc with windows already running, right? that is why you are running into the problem trying to delete the partition. Once you BOOT from the cd, you will see how easy this is.

DarkNemesis said:
Let me start off my saying i'm a complete noob when it comes to computers, so bare with me plz. So i came up with the idea to start anew with my computer and I decided to format(by new i mean getting rid of everything, just like buying a new hd). I load up my xp cd, and i choose fresh install. My computer restarts and gets to the setup screen. It tells me I can install over or delete partitions. Here's where I get stuck, I guessed that a partition is one part of your hard drive( I only have one). I press D to delete but it tells me I can't cause theres temporary something files that if i deleted won't allow me to install. So I just install over it into the same partition. When I finally finish installing I see that in my C: drive theres still my old users around and I'm already 186GB/250GB(haven't touched anything yet). So basically I now think that i have to make a new partition to delete the old one.. but i can't make a new one. Anywyas i read on a site to go to computer management and by accident I converted into dynamic disk. Now i don't know what to do at all. plz someone help me to get a fresh copy of xp onto my computer with nothing else. THANKS! if any of you want to ask me personally about the problems, email jnemesis8@gmail.com.

just boot up from the cd to dos prompt, at the prompt type "fdisk" with out the quotes it should wipe the whole hhd.

~mr mixx~ said:
just boot up from the cd to dos prompt, at the prompt type "fdisk" with out the quotes it should wipe the whole hhd.

he obviously doesnt know what he is doing, so the easiest way to get this done is through the installation dos "wizard"...or whatever that is called, when you boot from the cd...once you do it, you get very familiar...watch:

boot to the cd | hit any key to boot from cd | F8 to accept agreement | ESC since you have a version of windows already installed | D to delete current partition | Enter to verify deletion | L to confirm once and for all that your partition will be deleted | Enter to create a partition in the now NONPARTITIONED space | UP arrow to do a quick format in NTFS | Enter to initiate the format

once you do all that, you will reboot (DO NOT HIT ANY KEY OR THIS PROCESS WILL START ALL OVER AGAIN) and get the familiar Windows GUI which will be self explanatory..........

WHen i press D to delete it comes up saying that I can't delete cause theres temporary setup files that won't finish the install once i delete. the only option is to go back and choose antoher partition.(I only have that one partition.

Back
Top Bottom