Which Linux?

foxy`

Solid State Member
ok which linux i should get, i am really new to linux, and would also have to make it dual boot as well any ideas on how to do this, and what would be the best linux for my specification of a computer:

-pentium 4
-3.06ghz
-1.5gb of ram

:) please help and give me any help u think i should have on it, as i admit i am a noob at linux... :)
i also have partition magic, not sure what i should do with it so might need some help..

most of all tell me what linux i should get, i want it to be fast!!

thanks alot

Mostly everyone likes Ubuntu , plus it's free. I'd recommend trying a Live CD first, which basically means you store the entire OS on a CD/DVD and run it from there. Obviously, this isn't going to be practical for everyday use, so if you like it, actually install it.

I would simply use Ubuntu. As easy as it is, it still can be difficult to install certain items at times, due to the sudo command. I'm working on some issues with that now. Here is my setup though:

I have XP Pro installed on a custom system, AMD XP 2500 Barton with 1GB of RAM and 2 80GB drives, and 1 160GB drive. I installed VMware, a virtualization server that allows you to install an OS on your system. Then I installed Ubuntu on the virtual partition, which it acts as if it is the only OS on the system, which is nice- no need for a new computer, I'll just go virtual!

I will be creating a write-up on my setup soon, and will PM or provide you with a link to it to explain the details.

Oh, and also, Ubuntu is very easy to use and you need no prior knowledge of Linux. I don't have any and I installed it. Good luck ;D

XEN said:
I was going to say Ubuntu even before I saw the other responses, so its obviously a pretty good call... I also recomend EasyUbuntu, which easily installs support for things like playing MP3s.
Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.com/
EasyUbuntu: http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/

ok thanks i have about 10k songs and about 200gb of movies, whats the difference between ubuntu and easyubuntu?

thanks for all the posts so far, could some1 also help me with dual booting etc?

EasyUbuntu simply adds essential software for you.

EasyUbuntu is an easy to use (duh!) script that gives the Ubuntu user the most commonly requested apps, codecs, and tweaks that are not found in the base distribution - all with a few clicks of your mouse.

foxy` said:
is the looks different?
as far as I know they both use KDE so they will look similar.
And yes, ubuntu is a good choise, myself I use kubuntu, which is very similar.

And when installing ubuntu it will automatically install grub bootloader and will recognize the ntfs (windows) partition. So there is really nothing that u need to do about dual boot, just install ubuntu and then when u boot up it will load grub and u can choose which OS to boot to.

mammikoura said:
as far as I know they both use KDE so they will look similar.
And yes, ubuntu is a good choise, myself I use kubuntu, which is very similar.

And when installing ubuntu it will automatically install grub bootloader and will recognize the ntfs (windows) partition. So there is really nothing that u need to do about dual boot, just install ubuntu and then when u boot up it will load grub and u can choose which OS to boot to.

ok i have over 10,000 songs and 200gb of movies how can i be sure i will not loose these as i am taking a big chance.. also i am downloading it as a torrent, this ok right??

Back
Top Bottom