Four Wireless Options [Powerline, Ethernet, HPNA, Wireless]

Powerline is slower than you think. Lots of other factors affect speed. Of course, it's not bad if you need internet somewhere in the house that you Wi-Fi doesn't cover.

Wi-Fi is decent, depends on your router and your house's walls. My Netgear 802.11g router is fast enough, but my sister's G4 Titanium Powerbook can't even get a signal out in the kitchen (which is about 50-60 feet from my room where the router is).

As for ethernet, all you need is to buy a modem and router and the service should be the same. Of course, it means more money and less freedom than Wi-Fi offers, but it's a hardpoint internet connection so it should be fine.

Speaking of that...I should do that out by the kitchen so when I get my Xbox 360 I can get Wi-Fi. :D

Some of the MIMO ones look good. I would probably aim for the Netgear, Linksys, D-Link or U.S. Robotics ones. They're widely known and have great products.

Up to you. I use Netgear, my dad uses D-Link at his office and I can say that both are very good companies. I've never tried U.S. Robotics, but I've heard good things about them.

If it's a PCI card, you just install it like you would for all normal PCI cards.

So, will the antenna stick out of the back? I have free pci space, but doesn't look like I have any backpanel space.

Back
Top Bottom