Whats the Difference between How Many Ghz your Proc is and how many its rated to be?

Drain You

In Runtime
Ok, So I got a 3800+ x2 Proc and when I run the system spec thing it tells me its rated at 5.7ghz. What does that mean?

what system spec thing u running? Well whatever it is it's quite weird, it might try to tell u that ur cpu would equal a 5.7Ghz p4, but I doubt it...

Re: Whats the Difference between How Many Ghz your Proc is and how many its rated to be?

It means its total CPU output power it has is actually 5.7 GHz, i've seen the math for this around somewhere it basically adds up what your CPU is in and puts in GHz for you. Cache, # of cores, and Ghz all affect the power of the CPU. My amd 3800x2 is rated at 5.7Ghz as well.

Nik00117 said:
It means its total CPU output power it has is actually 5.7 GHz, i've seen the math for this around somewhere it basically adds up what your CPU is in and puts in GHz for you. Cache, # of cores, and Ghz all affect the power of the CPU. My amd 3800x2 is rated at 5.7Ghz as well.

but what is it comparing to? Like 5.7Ghz is very different depending on the architecture of the cpu.

Re: Whats the Difference between How Many Ghz your Proc is and how many its rated to be?

The 3800+ has two cores which both run at 2.2ghz. This means that they both operate at something like 2200mhz a second, which is about 2200000 cycles per second I believe - something like.

Mammikoura - your getting confused. The GHz speed tells you the number of cycles your CPU performs per second - not how well it performs. The reason that AMDs are better than Intels, or at least used to be, is because they do more work per cycle so they can afford to run slower.

prosser13 said:
The 3800+ has two cores which both run at 2.2ghz. This means that they both operate at something like 2200mhz a second, which is about 2200000 cycles per second I believe - something like.

Mammikoura - your getting confused. The GHz speed tells you the number of cycles your CPU performs per second - not how well it performs. The reason that AMDs are better than Intels, or at least used to be, is because they do more work per cycle so they can afford to run slower.

I know, but I don't think that u understand what I ment.

1st, the 3800+ isn't running at 5.7Ghz if thats what u are trying to say. The core clock speed is 2.0Ghz (atleast I think so) so even if u would add the 2 cores together it would give u 4.0Ghz instead of 5.7Ghz, and u can't do that since a dual core 2.0Ghz cpu isn't the same as a single core 4.0Ghz cpu.
So it is not displaying the actual clock speed of the cpu.

So I'm assuming that the 5.7Ghz that the program tells u is a way to measure performance. And as I said, the performance depends also on the architecture of the cpu.

Its simply a way of measuring performacei, they mesaure it based on several factors and all CPUs are calacuted the same way pretty much. Just take it how strong your CPU is, thats what I do and its simply called GHz cause tahts what I get asked a lot how many GHz, how many GHZ!

In the end, to answer your question, AMD cpus and Intel cpus take ghz's in a different light. Like someone has said before in this thread, AMD cpu's get a lot more done in a clock cycle thats why they have lower clock speeds. Most current Intel chips have a higher clock speed but get less done in one clock cycle, so while they seem faster they're relatively the same. But, with the new Intel Core 2 Duo line, thats changed. Intel Core 2 Duo cpus get more done in a single clock cycle than AMD's highest end cpu.

Nik00117 said:
Its simply a way of measuring performacei, they mesaure it based on several factors and all CPUs are calacuted the same way pretty much. Just take it how strong your CPU is, thats what I do and its simply called GHz cause tahts what I get asked a lot how many GHz, how many GHZ!

Wrong. Its simply a way of measuring how many clock cycles your CPU performs per second.

prosser13 said:
Wrong. Its simply a way of measuring how many clock cycles your CPU performs per second.

I already told u that the x2 3800+ DOES NOT have a clock speed of 5.7Ghz. It has a clock speed of 2.0Ghz.

Back
Top Bottom