Four Wireless Options [Powerline, Ethernet, HPNA, Wireless]

G9

Daemon Poster
Well, my Linksys Wireless-G wireless adapters always, always overheats and either freezes the connection, or my entire computer... so I'm going to get another kind of adapater.

There's Powerline networking, for one. I forget the product name, but MaximumPC gave it a 9 Kickass... and it was from Netgear. While I only need one, it sells in packages of 2 for over $200. So this might be the most expensive solution, while probably the best-working.

Second, Ethernet. I'm not sure how this would work... would I need a direct plugin to my router? That would need one hell of a long cord... or is it just from computer to phonejack? The cord shouldn't be too expensive, but I think I'm mixing up the concept with...

HPNA. This is apparently the computer-to-phonejack option. I'd still need a long cord, but not as long. There seem to be some vaguely described issues with the phoneline(s), but if you guys don't think they'll show up, I'll go with this option. Again, I think this solution will be relatively cheap. However, there are decreases of speed and performance.

The final option is the one I'm must reluctant to bring up. Wireless adapaters have failed me, so I'm not sure if I want to pick one up. There are the internal PCI cards that are pretty expensive (triple digit figures) and the external USB adapaters that are usually $50 and under. Performance varies by difference, but is not as good as the above two, or even three options when I look at my current location from the router.

So, which solution should I take, and if so, which product should I purchase?

Powerline networking isn't as amazing as you think it is - its not as fast as Ethernet by a long way, and can be slowed down a lot if you have old wires in your house. It's also expensive.

Ethernet - you plug your router into your phone line, and your PC into the router. So you could have the router next to your PC.

I've never heard of HPNA - therefore, I would stay away from it. You could just run a phone cable from your phone point to your router, and then a very short cable from your router to your PC.

Where are you getting your prices for PCI cards from? Over here in the UK, they are about £10 more than USB ones - thats about $16, and in total their only about £40 ($65 or so).

I would recommend you try again with wireless - if it doesn't work, send it back within 7 days to the shop, get a refund, and go with Ethernet.

Unfortunately, the wireless adapater took months before it started overheating, so...

Is it within warranty?

Can you get it replaced?

A PCI wireless card shouldn't overheat, as it will be well ventilated within your case. The problem with a USB wireless adapter is that it has no airflow.

Can you link me to one on newegg? I only found these. The idea of one inside my case seems like a good idea. I'd like to return my current adapters permanently for a refund, if that's possible. I got them a while back, so...

Whoops - sorry, the list you gave me only showed 2 adapters, and one was mini PCI.

What router do you have? I would advise matching the type of card with the router.

Just a tip - stick with well known companies, and avoid D-Link; their software in my experience sucks.

Well, my Wireless-G connects, so I think it's G-band, if there's such a thing. :p

Powerline isn't all it's cracked up to be, but if you don't like or want wifi it's a good way to go. I use it and it's fine. It's great if you don't need to transfer files between computers. Actually Netgear has a fast one that does 200MBPS I believe and it got good reviews, only bad thing is the price :(

Back
Top Bottom