Help T.roubleshooting

singularity0

Solid State Member
Hello.
[IF I posted this in the wrong place please pm me before moving it.]

I came here because i realised that there are a lot of experts around here.Whereas i am only a beginner.Please help me troubleshoot my problems and increase my computer expertise.
I will ask questions and and also tell my troubles.
Others are free to ask questions aswell.
Please help me you people with your computer wisdom. :)

Q1>Proper way to delete
I use win98
Well for normal files,i just right click and delete .And clear recycle bin.
For installed files,i uninstall it using it's options or else goto control panel>add/remove programs and then delete it.

But the problem is with setup files.They cannot be uninstalled normally.
If you right click and delete, it shows you messages like "you may not be able to run/edit certain applictions again".These files are associated with other files
and cannot be deleted normally.But i still often delete such files by simply by simply making them "read only".But i know it can cause damages.
So what's the proper way to delete such files?

I downloaded and installed some eraser applications lately and then removed it.Now if I right click my recylcle bin it shows an option "erase recylcle bin".The option does not work and show some message "can't find a file".How do i remove that option from my recycle bin since it was not originally there?

Please help.

Welcome to Computer Forums... we have many age groups on here from beginner to novice, enjoy posting here at CF.

singularity0 said:
Hello.
[IF I posted this in the wrong place please pm me before moving it.]

I came here because i realised that there are a lot of experts around here.Whereas i am only a beginner.Please help me troubleshoot my problems and increase my computer expertise.
I will ask questions and and also tell my troubles.
Others are free to ask questions aswell.
Please help me you people with your computer wisdom. :)

Q1>Proper way to delete
I use win98
Well for normal files,i just right click and delete .And clear recycle bin.
For installed files,i uninstall it using it's options or else goto control panel>add/remove programs and then delete it.

But the problem is with setup files.They cannot be uninstalled normally.
If you right click and delete, it shows you messages like "you may not be able to run/edit certain applictions again".These files are associated with other files
and cannot be deleted normally.But i still often delete such files by simply by simply making them "read only".But i know it can cause damages.
So what's the proper way to delete such files?

I downloaded and installed some eraser applications lately and then removed it.Now if I right click my recylcle bin it shows an option "erase recylcle bin".The option does not work and show some message "can't find a file".How do i remove that option from my recycle bin since it was not originally there?

Please help.

Wow windows 98 man... Well your second problem is microsoft dosen't support '98 anymore. '98 is going to cause you alot of problems especially b/c it has become almost extinct. I would forget about it and UPGRADE a.s.a.p. At least upgrade to 2000 so microsoft can support you. But if your looking to upgrade the latest, wait untill vista comes out in Janaury I think. Sorry if my post didn't help your problem, but this is just good advice for you.

You should get XP or as Chaos said, 2000... 98 is like ansient, lol something more up to date.

Looks like you'd have to re-install Windows as something might have corrupted, since its lost a file needed to make that work properly. Though, it doesn't seem like its causing much of a problem.

I think its time to update your Windows now though, ye...

Windows 98 won't even work with some new computers now. My mate encountered that.

Being a fellow win98se user I tend to disagree with the upgrade mentialy. Not all machines will run xp or win2k for that matter.
To properly get rid of the files do as you have been doing but add one more step, well 2.
After you uninstall the program>
Go back to the c: drive and look for the program folder. Go in it and delete the remaining folder for the program you just uninstalled. After you uninstall programs a lot of them leave the folder behind. The message you're getting is just a warning. After you uninstall and remove the folder run a reg cleaner to get out the orphaned reg entries.

Thanks a lot you people for such a nice welcome.

So win98 seems to be a major problem. :rolleyes:
I will try upgrading it then.Can i do it for free somehow?

Q2>Where can I get good reg(registry?) cleaner for free on the net?

Many thanks.

Will i loose all my important files and folders if i run a registry cleaner or is it harmless? :confused:

Q3>Surfing Speed Improvent
lately i have downloaded several applications and then deleted them.i think this has actually afected my internet speed.
1 program that considerably reduced my speed was a rambooster that i installed.It made the speed around 3 times slower i think.After i removed it i actually got my speed back.But i think it hasnot got back to 100% yet.
can any1 tell me -why this happens?And how can i improve my internet speed?Can I dwnload something for it?Will it help?

they are acually very helpful, and can solve many issues..just make sure to back up your registry before using a cleaner.

Back
Top Bottom