PSU's

dorfman

In Runtime
Alright here is the deal, i've posted on here before, about this but i want more clarifcaiton..

I am getting a Nvidia GeForce 7950 GT... i'm not sure how many watts it needs. My computer currently has a psu at about 300watt. I know this isn't sufficent. I am also getting a new case for my pc that has like 5 fans 4 80mm and one 120mm... I'm a little self-conscience on how hott my cpu gets, since my room that it is, gets a little toasty and runs at about 40 degree celisus just sitting there with no gamming.

Despite that, I've heard various things about PSU's from newegg, and other forums. Some say get this brand, and then i read reviews on newegg, and they blow up. I would like to not do that.

My system i am running is a hp4200+ with the AMB 64x2 processor 2.3-.5 MHZ and 2 gig of ram...

So my basic question is what PSU should I get, at the right wattage to run my cpu correctly and sufficent and also a very very realiable brand?

well i would say to get the best ya can afford and a top brand like antec or seasonic, and get a high wattage (better to have to much power as not enough and it also futureproofs for upgrades). I think its one of the main parts that people overlook when it comes to quality.

its cool, i'm just looking for an answer that breaks it down for me. I'm really shaddy on PSU's since i've never done this big of an upgrade before. I need someone to really break it down for me. Basically say, this is the PSU that you need to get for what you are doing.

For your system i would not go lower than a 500 Watt PSU,

I would check out this Powersupply, Its a 550 Watt, and will leave you room to upgrade. It has a 120 MM fan and is very quiet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817182017

i have built PCs (that are similar to your build) with these and I own one myself and have had ZERO problems and it performs great.

Plus its a great price for only 66 Bones.

good luck :cool:

Watts dont make a bit of difference you need to look at amperage, especially on the +12v rail/rails idealy you'd want a PSU with 500+ watts and make sure it's at least a dual rail (2x +12v rails) and make sure those rails are rated 18-21A. Amp are where the true power lies, watts cant kill you when you get electrocuted it's the amps that pack the punch, so that is the most important this you look for in a PSU, I've seen some 700W PSU with only 13-16A +12v rails

mfrostbutter said:
Watts dont make a bit of difference you need to look at amperage, especially on the +12v rail/rails idealy you'd want a PSU with 500+ watts and make sure it's at least a dual rail (2x +12v rails) and make sure those rails are rated 18-21A.

Yep and the powersupply i listed has all these, I definetly reccommend it to you dorfman.

Good Luck :cool:

wow 60 bones, it seems like its too good to be true... i am concerned with the fan being on top since, the psu that i have is the stock psu in my hp, only blows air from the back, should i be concerned with this? I am getting a new case though that should be good, and it has a fan on the top of it that i am going to arrange so its blowing air out not in..

I am worried with it being only 60$ thought it seems like its cheap..

76 reviews and it's got a five star rating......................and in that pic it's upside down, it sucks air through the bottom and blows it out the back

Back
Top Bottom