car audio, right section?

sorry for the double post, but i thought that last one was long enough. haha

but i just came to the realization that the differences between brands is going to be nearly unnoticable(as long as they have similar specs. ie both are sq subs)

sorry. it just dawned on me, and i thought that somebody else reading this might come to the same realization.

oddly, the idea came to me from thinking about computers. the ram more specifically. it really doesnt matter the bandwidth of the ram. to a certain extent, as long as u have a good amount of ram (and secondly latency), you will be fine. and, the differences between all the competitive products will be hardly noticable.

Lol I was about to post it, ninjaguru (remember that :p) but I gotta go to Karate.

So do you Spec, get your ass goin!

if you gonna get a single sub, build a properly ported box that is tuned. you'll be doing damn good for yourself if you build it right. a properly ported box is almost always better than a sealed box, unless you don't do it right....then you have a sealed box with a hole in it and it'll sound like crap. it'll save you some money building your own box and you can tune it to the specs of the speaker. i would personally do 1 type r and a well build ported box. if you gonna just buy a box, by a pair of the type s's or the jl and throw them in a sealed box.

badninja3 said:
okay, change of subject..

if i spend about $150 on a sub/2subs, what should i get?

i was thinking of getting a single sub. getting only one sub saves in many ways.
1. cheaper enclosure. a double sub enclosure is usually more expensive
2. only 1 sub to pay for.
3. requires less wattage from the amp, allowing for a cheaper amp.
4. space. saves space.
with the money saved, i can get higher quality products, such as a custom ported box. and other stuff.

if i get 2 subs:
1. looks cooler
2. theoretically more powerful
3. i dont really need all that much bass anyway
4. requires more space
5. requires a stronger amp
6. requires a bigger box

at the moment, i think a single sub would be more cost-efficient.
so now, what size should i get? it is said that 1x15" is stronger than 2x12". so i think i might go that route.

Well your single sub thoughts are fine. But the problem with two subs is how loud is too loud? I mean you can spend whatever you want on car audio, be it 500 $$$ or 5,000 $$$. There isnt a cutoff limit with this stuff. It all comes down to what you want. Do you listen to rap? Then get two, because it would rape one. However do you listen to rap, and still want to keep your hearing. Get one, and its passive but hard when the volume is low and you get insane relex and lows when the volume is high.

Ive already told you this, but the JLw1v2 is about on par with the Type R. And with it ported it would be insane. Those ported boxes are hard to make and cost alot off $$$ to get made. My sub sealed in the trunk sounds amazing untill about 25/35. Thats only because I have quality speakers and my amp for my speakers is more powerfull then my sub.

But you can always increase the bass boost, sub output and Front Xover etc and get the damn thing bangin.

I know from personal experience what my sub can do. And to tell you the truth, I wouldnt buy a Type R like I first intended. Im more then satisfied.

If I were you id get a W1v2 and that TNT amp. Because you can turn the gain down to work for one sub, and with that amp later you have time to upgrade with another sub. Keep it simple and sealed.

badninja3 said:
sorry for the double post, but i thought that last one was long enough. haha

but i just came to the realization that the differences between brands is going to be nearly unnoticable(as long as they have similar specs. ie both are sq subs)

sorry. it just dawned on me, and i thought that somebody else reading this might come to the same realization.

oddly, the idea came to me from thinking about computers. the ram more specifically. it really doesnt matter the bandwidth of the ram. to a certain extent, as long as u have a good amount of ram (and secondly latency), you will be fine. and, the differences between all the competitive products will be hardly noticable.

I like the rationalization. However.. Your not running subs at super high speeds. Your going to be deciding by quality, and loudness.

There are some subs that can hit and sound like they bottom out, or have a tear in them. There are also subs that hit fast, clean and hard. And sound amazing.

Thought the Kenwoods and mysub you would hear a difference. As with the Kenwoods and a Type R, you wont be able to tell a difference between JL's and Alpines, or Alpines and Kickers or Kickers and JL;'s.

When you go with the quality brands It really comes down to loyality. However Type R's in a custom ported box can get LOUD with almost no power. A single 15'' Can hit 125dB from about 15feet away. (ive seen the video)

yeah. i've heard very good things about jl. but a recurrent comment i hear about jl is that they are overpriced.

but that aside, i think they are a very good company.

and yes. i do listen to rap. i like rappers like mac dre(rip), e40, keak da sneak, pretty much all the rappers from da bay. i could go on with rappers whose music i ilke, but u get the point. u can understand the type of music i listen to. hard hitting, rumbling, car-shaking, mind boggling, insanely powerful - bass. lol

so with that said, do u think i should still get 2 12"s?

i have heard from many sources that 1 15" is better in general than 2 12"s.

anyway, thanks for the help,opinions, etc.. so far. thanks!

Two 12's are insane but not in your price range for what you want.

Id take a 15'' Type R any day over two 12's. They can be pricey they take up alot of room and suck power. But damn do they hit hard and low.

However, Id take two of my subs over almost any Alpine sub.

Mind you Ive never heard a 15' In person. Well my friends but it was in a box, and we were just havin fun makin it bounce lol.

Two 12's in general probably is louder then one 15'' but the 15'' is going to get ear-bleeding low (not literally...).

My friend that has the TNT and the two 12'' Kenwoods played a bass test for me today. At 15/35 I couldnt sit in the car anymore.

But think of it this way too, with two 12''s or one 15'' you are going to have to buy better then stock speakers and give each one of them at least 60+ watts with a 2 or 4ch amp. That gets expensive. And with that kind of power (two amps) your going to need a bigger battery and a new alternator.

Hence, (IMHO) Get a single 12'' and work your way up from there.

i already have an amp for my coaxials. im not sure wat it is. but it can handle everything i throw at it. or anything that i WOULD throw at it. obviously, i wouldnt have the music maxed out 24/7. but it gets damn loud and with no distortion. ever.

i got myself a pioneer deck. works great. my speakers are stock, but are connected through an amp. and they actually give off good bass. they give off more bass then one of my friends's weak ass 8" sub. lol.

well the price difference between a 12 and a 15 isnt too much is it? i mean, obviously theres a big difference in the msrp. but on ebay, for example, they have very close prices.

but i might just go with 1 12" but im definately not going double anymore. i figured i dont need it in my first system.

fyi.. an 8'' is mid.

A single 15'' cant be much more then a single 12'' but good luck fitting it in the average trunk. Ive seen back seats taken out for 15''s... Mostly they are put in SUV's though.

Remember a 15 will give off so much bass that you might not hear much vocal. But if your amp is that good go for it. Not hard to blow a stock speaker though.. Usually they are paper. Expect for the higher end cars.. Those are all Bose and Infinity, but whatever.

Im not sure how much it is, but look into the 13'' Focal. Those things are INSANE. Id take a Focal speaker/sub over ANYTHING. Focal is kinda like the best of the best. And its 13'' so you get a true 13'' of cone.

You also will get used to what yo uhave and wany more and more. It never fails. I couldnt listin to mine past 17 what I first got it. Now it wont get loud enough. It just happens, and you will constantly upgrade.

But you gotta start somewhere and this is your first step. I say go wtih the 12''. Maybe a 12'' ported if you can spare the $$ for the box. But sealed sounds awesome. Blends amazing with mine anyways..

Back
Top Bottom