Re-Installing without CDROM

jo3olous

Beta member
whats up everyone. I have to format a laptop and reinstall O/S... It previously had XP... here's the problem

1) No CD-ROM drive
2) External CD-Rom will not cooperate as boot device
3) I tried using a boot disk to get to A:\> prompt, but it will not let me format from there (i tried fdisk c:)
4) I'm running windows XP setup disks (6 floppies total) which i downloaded from windows website, and when it reaches the 6th disk I get blue screen of death; help???

let me get this staraight, you have a laptop with no cd-rom drive ? just a floppy 3x5 drive ? and you want to load windows using floppies ?

what you could do is boot up to the bios, and see if their is an option to boot from a usb source, make it your 1st boot / hhd second boot / floppy third boot.

if it does have this option, it will boot the cd , and load windows automatically

if not, then what i would do in your case is to have someone burn the OS to a cd for you, buy a cd-rom for your lappy, and load it from the new drive...they should'nt be that expensive.

Thanks anyway, but yea I was given a fried laptop @ work and i had to reformat without a CDRom drive. Thank god someone had a cdrom on them that fit the drivebay of the Laptop. The major problem was that external CDroms were not being picked up when I tried to use them as boot devices

it would appear that the boot order was something like:
floppy / hhd / cd rom

changing that around to :
cd-rom / hhd / floppy (if you deside to buy a cd-rom drive)

if usb supported ..then:
usb / hhd / floppy

yea i know, thats why i was thinking i was screwed because, there was no USB or external device option, so unless i was able to get a CDRom to go in the drivebay (which i did) i didnt think i was gonna get anywhere

Back
Top Bottom