Maxtor One TOuch Beeping / Not working

BRISK495

Solid State Member
Hello,

I am using a Maxtor 120 Gig hard drive on a new iMac computer. I am using to hold video that I am editing. It worked fine for the first couple of days but last nite, it started to beep every 20 seconds or so. An external hard drive is not appearing on my desktop. Any ideas or is this Maxtor done? I called Maxtor and they said there is nothing they can do if it isnt under warrenty. Is there anything I can do, to possible fix myself? I appreciate any help!

Try this. Boot up from the System CD and do a disk verify and repair if necessary.

Maxtor drives beep when they get too hot, so maybe it's a warning mechanism, like it's going to fail, or is overheating? Is there a particular time it beeps, I mean, are you doing some particular task when it happens, or is it completely random?

Run an Apple Hardware Test off of the CD. The Extended Test

~K-Pow~ said:
Try this. Boot up from the System CD and do a disk verify and repair if necessary.

Maxtor drives beep when they get too hot, so maybe it's a warning mechanism, like it's going to fail, or is overheating? Is there a particular time it beeps, I mean, are you doing some particular task when it happens, or is it completely random?

Run an Apple Hardware Test off of the CD. The Extended Test

This is continual. It beeps every 15 or soo seconds (pretty annoying actulaly) I can try running that test now......I have to find where it is though first.

It's not looking good all the information i've found so far is pointing to a failed harddrive i'd get what you need to backed up before you lose it for good.

yeah, that is what iam thinking. if it is filed then, do you think it can repaired? I actually just realized that I am using the Maxtor direct into the MAC without any of the software. It worked fine but then stopped suddenly I understnd there is a CD tht loads software. this is my dads and he never mentioned anything about a cd when I took the maxtor. I am on maxtor site downloading an update for the exct model....maybe it will have a rrcovery. I guess i will find out soon.

yeah, i do appreciate your help. The maxtor is about a yr or 2 old. I am not positive, but its the 120 gig 1 touch. The mac is brand new that i was using with it.

From some of the stuff i was reading it sais that after a year those maxtor drives fail.

really, would you happen to have a link to any of this? The reason I ask is because we were looking to get another Maxtor before this happened....there wouldnt be a point of getting one if there are failures

Back
Top Bottom