SATA Harddrive lifespan?

Mattyl110792

Daemon Poster
Hey,

I'm not sure if it was here or somewhere else that i read leaving your pc on 24/7 and having SATA drives was not good for them? Can anyone confirm this and explain if possible, as im a person that needs his pc on 24/7 and if SATA drives were not built fot these situations it would put a damper on me upgrading my hdd lol.....also does this apply in SATA II?

Thanks,

Matt

I've had a computer for 6 months now with a SATA II tahts been on for 95% of the time its been in the house, and have seen no damper in the HDD performance. idk if thats a sign for the more distant future, but atleast in the short run it has no effect.

Thanks for the reply, so i think i should be right and must have read wrong about what i saw....thanks

Matt

My buddy has a really old computer running a Pentium 3 500 Mhz running xp pro lol. I think it's at least ten years old with the hdd. Your drive should last you quite a while.

Hard drives tend to last a very long time, and the data usually lasts very long also.

HDs generally have fairly long life spans... Only diff between a SATA and IDE is the connector and cable. From what I understnad the physicall data storage is teh same.

To tell you: I have been working with a 286 HDD last year. So, that's going to tell you that's it's been a good 20 years!

Back
Top Bottom