two old pcs.... help

Dogged_Puppy

Baseband Member
one of my old PCs died.... but i think the HDD is still intact! Could I just stick that HDD into my second PC (assuming it's compatible with motherboard), and load up the operating system on that HDD and everything through that second computer?

it depends on the computer the hhd was installed on, for example if you had a Gateway pc and installed windows on the hhd, if you took the hhd and put it into another Gateway pc, it would probably boot ok. just make sure you set the jumpers on the back of the hhd as master, and the other hhd as slave. i have done that before..but

if the hhd does not boot windows, then just make the hhd a slave drive in your computer by moving over the jumper in the back of the hhd. remeber that the OS (operating system )that you want to be default, must be set as a master drive, and the spare hhd is set to slave.

Any HD is compatiable with any Motherboard assuming your not talking about SATA I, or II. Anyways alls you have to do is uninstall the drivers, and just to be sure I would hook it up drag and drop from one HD to another, and then format the secondary drive then hook the master HD up and then boot of that and just partition the Slave drive and drage and drop the information back on the Slave, and you'll have one clean storage drive. I actualy have done this many times. For a note MAKE SURE YOU PARTITION YOUR SLAVE DRIVE or else it will not show up as anything in your "My Computer" if running windows assuming you are due to it sounds like you don't know much about computers (which isn't bad we all have to start somewhere). Just make sure you format to get the old OS off the HD and all the drivers so they do not conflict with any other drivers that you have on your new PC

Noxious020189 said:
Any HD is compatiable with any Motherboard assuming your not talking about SATA I, or II.

Do not be fooled by this statement is not true at all, it may work if the two computers share the same chipset (Intel, Nvidia, ect...) If they are two different chipsets you will not be able to boot into Windows at all to uninstall the drivers, it may be possible to do in safe mode, all you can do is try. If it wont boot, simply slave the drive to your working system and pull all your data off, go to disk management console and format it and you've got a storage drive!

mfrostbutter said:
Do not be fooled by this statement is not true at all, it may work if the two computers share the same chipset (Intel, Nvidia, ect...) If they are two different chipsets you will not be able to boot into Windows at all to uninstall the drivers, it may be possible to do in safe mode, all you can do is try. If it wont boot, simply slave the drive to your working system and pull all your data off, go to disk management console and format it and you've got a storage drive!
ok thx.... how do you "slave the drive? Can all HDDs be a slave?

Any HDD is copatible with any motherboards. Windows 95,98,ME can be taken out and into another board. Windows NT, 2000, XP won't/

All HDDs can be slave. Set the jumper where you connect it and set it as slave or Cable Select. It should be working.

mfrostbutter said:

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT...Chipset has nothing to do with HD's...

The way how you slave a drive is look at the picture on the HD and it should say what to set your jumper to, and then bam It's a slave. Make sure you hook it to the slave part of the IDE to :)

Back
Top Bottom