can the pc run 24/7/365

A computer has what I call a idle power usage, and a load power usage. Example your playing a game your PC is at load lets say its takeing 400 watts and you got a 500 watt PSU so for that time it uses 400 watts, but lets say you stop playing that game and are not doing anything and the mointor shuts off well you now using maybe 150 watts. I leave my computer on pretty darn near 24/7 without a hitch.

Nik00117 said:
A computer has what I call a idle power usage, and a load power usage. Example your playing a game your PC is at load lets say its takeing 400 watts and you got a 500 watt PSU so for that time it uses 400 watts, but lets say you stop playing that game and are not doing anything and the mointor shuts off well you now using maybe 150 watts. I leave my computer on pretty darn near 24/7 without a hitch.

yep, but the problem with me is that I'm running BOINC (distributed computing software) so the cpu is at 100% most of the time. But ofcourse the vid card ain't working, so it doesn't use as much power as it does when gaming.

true, if in the same ammount of time u turn ur commputer off and on and off and on again as the time u have it on, it will take less energy to keep it on, but who does that, u turn it off and leave it off for a few hours, that certainly takes less energy, also electricity cost like 5-20 cents a killowatt an hour, a typical desktop computer uses 40-60 watts, and underload not too much more, like 65-100 watts an hour, thats about 0-5 cents every-one hour ur computer on, its not that much. i suppose it adds up tho

MrRabbit said:
well i see a post from some1 on a buying site, and they said "i leave my pc on for 24/7/365"
and is it possible to keep the pc running for 24 hours/week/365 ?
if it possible, wouldnt the cpu and computer parts get really hot?
well you gotta consider if there is a power outtage :D

SATA hdds are made for consumer use to not be left on 24/7/365.5.
on the otherhand, SCSI Drives are made to be on 24/7/365.5.

joxley1990 said:
I highly doubt that the rise would be that much for a computer. Mine has not been turned off for a good few months, and our bills are not rising very much at all. And yes, you can leave them on all the time, but they will require restarts every now and again, because of the files building up in the temp folder. Hence one of the reasons servers have 99% uptime.

Also, did you know, that to switch a computer on and off, on and off, on and off, is more expensive, as oppose to having it on all the time..

With my findings turning a computer on and off is not expensive, their is just a momentairly time where it uses ALOT of power to boot.

If you guys have a clampmeter you can measuer and than calculate how much you're PC costs to run. I'd say the average high peformance PC uses about 200 watt average, as this is what my old one did.

With that kinda power consumption, you're power bills can be VERY high.

joxley1990 said:
Also, did you know, that to switch a computer on and off, on and off, on and off, is more expensive, as oppose to having it on all the time..
How does that work? I believe you, but my friend who turns his on and off wouldnt believe you. Just so i can explain it to him

turning on the computer requires a lot of power and doing it over and over in time would cost more power than if you would have just left it on ther whole time.

Taylor said:
How does that work? I believe you, but my friend who turns his on and off wouldnt believe you. Just so i can explain it to him

Not sure on this, but im guessing that ya using more processor power etc on boot up and shut down. Could be totally off the mark here aswell tho

cileskot said:
turning on the computer requires a lot of power and doing it over and over in time would cost more power than if you would have just left it on ther whole time.

This is being rough, but lets say a computer draws 3X as much power while booting (Really, you don't even draw this much more power). And a boot up takes 20 seconds. So thats 1 minute of normal power.

If anyone can mathamitcally explain why you should not turn your computer off to SAVE power i'll be happy to listen.

it's not all that loud if it's in hybernation mode, it will shut down the computer, but when you push the power button..it will load up everything and all processes running.

Back
Top Bottom