Dual monitors on my new PC

superman22x

Golden Master
Hi,
I am building a new PC in the months to come(once I have more money) and I already picked out the parts I want from newegg mostly. I think the graphics card I picked can support two monitors and I have two older CRT monitors in my basement that work, that i might hookup. Do I need two keyboards, and mice? Are there any other parts that I need doubles of?

Also what is the hardest part of building a PC? I know the case I bought already and that has so many little plugs and whatnot that I assume plug into the mobo. I thought building a PC might be a fun challenge, and a cheaper way to get a computer of my own, parents dont like me downloading stuff a lot. lol

Thanks

No, you don't have to have 2 keyboards and 2 mice. You will just have 2 monitors, you can stretch your desktop over the 2 monitors or have it display one thing on one monitor and another on the other, stuff like that.

The hardest part of building a computer to me...is actually picking out the parts. It's sometimes hard for me to decide what I want based on what I need and whatnot. The actual building of the pc to me is nothing, not hard at all.

Thats good if its easy to put togethor. lol. My freind said something about plugging things in the right cord is hard, but it looks easy. Thanks for the quick responce!!

I have one more question, I am getting a pentium D 2.8ghz processor, and I read the reviews for it and people said it was very fast, but they also said it gets hot. I want to overclock it a little maybe, I don't even know how much a little is really? Can I be ok with like 3 80mms and 1 120mm fan? Or should I think about water cooling or something? I need a cheap but effective cooling method. Any suggestions. I might be able to upgrade the heatsink that is on the processor. I also am getting a little bottle of thermal paste.

Thanks

Also, my dad and I are almost done building the desk which is 48" by 30"

The stock cooler will be fine if you are only going to oc a "little". The thermal pad that comes as stock with a Pentium cpu is actually quite efficient and does not require replacement until the heatsink is removed. Should you decide to replace the stock cooler with a third party cooler then a new application of thermal interface material would be recommended, Arctic Silver 5 is a good compound to use in this instance.

Your projected fan arrangement will be more than sufficient, the location of the fans and their orientation are the issue. As a rule of thumb the front of the case should house the intake fans, the rear should house the exhaust fans. The main problem with case cooling is wiring clutter which can impede air flow through the case, ensure that your wiring is tidy (use sleeving if possible or cable ties to reduce the restriction of air flow)

Water cooling will probably not be required unless you plan to heavily oc your cpu/gpu.

Good luck with your pc build

:)

Ok, thanks, I have the 120 in the front. I was just worried that it might get too hot because thats what everyone that bought it said. Is overclocking to 3.2ghz from 2.8 ghz a lot or a little? And is there special parts I need to buy so I can watch the temp on my processor just in case, because I'm kinda worried about this thing, its my first build.

If your motherboard didn't come with anything to monitor the temps, you can check them in the bios. Or you can get a program called Everest and it will monitor your temps for you from within windows

Also I have another questoin about this build, if I have a WD cavior HD 20gb in my old compaq that I never use, would it be benificial to take this HD from that computer and plug it in with my 160gb 3gb drive I plan to get and install windows on the smaller one allone?

If you really want to overclock, you could get a core 2 processor. They run cooler and you can overclock them massively. Just a thought. The Pentium D does make sense since you can overclock those pretty well and they're cheap since the core 2 came out.

Back
Top Bottom