Issues, im sure its database..again??

mark thorpe said:
i disagree with this.. some old threads have some very good info in them, quite often when i have a problem, or am just wondering about something i search through the old threads, and have a read.. ive read several recently dating back 3+ years.. i dont think that deleting threads is a good idea.. the same with members, presumabley if you delete a member, all their posts will also go.. that would be very hard to do, and make sure that the old threads they have posted in make sense.. (going back to my above comment about reading through old threads)
I agree, I think everything should stay the way it is in terms of older threads.

mark thorpe said:
i disagree with this.. some old threads have some very good info in them, quite often when i have a problem, or am just wondering about something i search through the old threads, and have a read.. ive read several recently dating back 3+ years.. i dont think that deleting threads is a good idea.. the same with members, presumabley if you delete a member, all their posts will also go.. that would be very hard to do, and make sure that the old threads they have posted in make sense.. (going back to my above comment about reading through old threads)
Regarding deleting [PB'ing] members, I see that it only makes sense to do this to members in the list who haven't posted.

he doesnt mean PB'ing them, he means totally deleting them from the database.. and that, i think would be a very bad idea..

mark thorpe said:
he doesnt mean PB'ing them, he means totally deleting them from the database.. and that, i think would be a very bad idea..

Yep, no point in deleting them, this place is no where near the elite group, not just yet ( not dissin cf, just saying, it has a long way to go, to get up to forums like tech forums)..Members count is essential, no point in throwing away old members, it helps him when he wants to put adds on and what not..Google will rank higher with more members and watver...Deleting them is just a waste..

Mark your concerns about deleting members making their threads delete also are unfounded. I just conducted a test at my place. I created a new member and made 5 threads under that account. I then went in and totally deleted the member account. Went back to where the test posts were and all of them were still there.
I guess having the advantage of being an admin gives me a leg up on concerns about how VB operates.

setishock said:
It may be as simple as it's time to purge out old threads and inactive members out of the data base. There's stuff in here that's like 3 years old. If David wants that as a keepsake then just back up the database first then purge out the old stuff.
The db is a few hundred MB. I have run sql dbs (not forums) GB's in size. Some forums have 11million posts and still no problems.

joxley1990 said:
Yeah, look at this one

Gaia has 788,136,643 articles posted with 4,662,741 registered users.
Most users ever online was 55,206 on Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:20 pm

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/index.php
Wow....that forum has had 18,174 new threads since you posted that. I just looked at it..............WOW...it must be awful to keep up with the threads in that forum.

Edit...I hit refresh after 1 min and there were 18 new posts in one of the forums.....

Tommy Boy said:
Wow....that forum has had 18,174 new threads since you posted that. I just looked at it..............WOW...it must be awful to keep up with the threads in that forum.

Edit...I hit refresh after 1 min and there were 18 new posts in one of the forums.....
yeah, i wonder how long if I made a post before it would end up on the 2nd page. :p

Back
Top Bottom