How do I get started?

Chaos Affinity

In Runtime
I've been interested in web programming for a while but just now found some extra time to get into it. What are some spefic things I need to do or buy to start out?

If you have a computer, and a text editor, you are ready to get started. Start out with HTML - either w3schools.com, or google for HTML tutorials. You will find LOTS of them. Once you have that, start looking into CSS. From there, it really depends on what you want to do. XHTML? PHP? ASP? Good luck!

If you have some extra $$$ pick up "Beginning Web Programming with HTML, XHTML, and CSS" from Wrox books (or check it out from a library). By the end of the book you'll even know some javascript. But if you don't have disposable income (or the library doesn't stock it), search online. Loads upon loads of HTML tutorials exist out there.

To do more than merely manipulate a WYSIWYG editor (e.g., Front Page, Dreamweaver) and do "real" web programming, you'll have to know HTML second nature.

if you have questions as you develope your skills then just create a post in here... most people will be more than happy to either quickly answer the question
or give details expenations behind what you are doing and why it won't work, or why you should do it a particular way.

Back
Top Bottom