Will partitioning help speed?

~mr mixx~ said:
Not at all, infact.. you can have as many partitions as you want, giving the fact you have enough space on your hhd.you can have like up to 30 partitions on a 120 to 160gig hhd. but i would'nt get carried away with making too many of them. all you need is maybe 4 or five of them, and you should be all set.

i have on one of my pc's, five partitions set up like this:

1st partition has Windows xp on it. 2nd partition has all my music on it.3rd partititon has all my downloads in it, in their zipped form. 4th partition has all my documents sorted by multiple folders. and the 5th partition has all my video games on it.

the partitions will show up in my computer like this:
(C) local drive (L) music (M) Down loads (N) Documents (O) video games

so there's an example of my setup, hope that helps.

Just wondering here, how can ya have 30 partitions? What happens when ya run out of drive letters?

that was an extreme example, know one would be benefit from that many partitions, your best bet would be four or five max. and if you had more than 5 , i would definetly turn off system restore to save on resource's, you would'nt want your cpu monitoring all those partitions.

any way's, you could use that many because you can re-name a partiton once it's made.an example would be... :)F) :)F1) :)F2) :)F3) see what i mean.

~mr mixx~ said:
that was an extreme example, know one would be benefit from that many partitions, your best bet would be four or five max. and if you had more than 5 , i would definetly turn off system restore to save on resource's, you would'nt want your cpu monitoring all those partitions.

any way's, you could use that many because you can re-name a partiton once it's made.an example would be... :)F) :)F1) :)F2) :)F3) see what i mean.

Ah right, i understand ya can rename a partition, but never realised ya could rename a drive letter assigned to a drive, cheers for clearing that up for me.

Back
Top Bottom