Antivirus

juggernaut1

Beta member
Hi all. As I am new to computers, I am wondering if an older antivirus (such as Norton Antivirus 2004) is just as good as Norton's 2006, or if I have to fork out money each year to buy the new version. Also, what software could you generally recommend for a trouble-free installation? I'm running windows xp, and I'll be using the computer for everything. Thanks in advance,

Juggernaut.

IMO ya antivirus is only as good as ya last update, because of the new viruses appearing everyday. Also i would avoid norton coz it is well known for being powerhungry. Im running bit defender at the moment and its really good, kaspersky is canny aswell. Everyone will have their own ideas of whats best tho

juggernaut said:
Hi all. As I am new to computers, I am wondering if an older antivirus (such as Norton Antivirus 2004) is just as good as Norton's 2006, or if I have to fork out money each year to buy the new version. Also, what software could you generally recommend for a trouble-free installation? I'm running windows xp, and I'll be using the computer for everything. Thanks in advance,

Juggernaut.

As far as antivirus goes, it is important not just to update the signatures... But also the product itself, as each new version generally is more capable of detecting new viruses... With better scanning engine's and etc.

[size=-1][/size][size=-1]www.avast.com
[/size][size=-1]www.bitdefender.com

Try them, I use Avast! myself and I think its great.
[/size]

also some service provider's will offer free antivirus with their subscription, it depends on the subscription though. cable internet has a free antivirus that goes with the hookup, but that's on the East coast, it will differ from other areas.

Charchris said:
[size=-1][/size][size=-1]www.avast.com
[/size][size=-1]www.bitdefender.com

Try them, I use Avast! myself and I think its great.
[/size]

That is what i use also, but just a recommendation, dont run two anti-vir at once, because basicly they will find each other as viruses..

it's true, you can not run two anti virus programs at the same time, they will infact conflict, and most anti-virus will warn you of this if you do.

yes, you must always keep your antivirus program up to date with the latest definitions. i think mcafee is a good paid antivirus program (and if you have verizon with msn premium you get it for free....don't know what internet provider you have, but thought i'd put that out there for people's info). your 2004 norton isn't protecting you now though, so i would get something as soon as possible.

I personally like NOD32, it's great at detecting unknown stuff. Kaspersky is good, but it reports a lot of false positives such as registry changes and stuff. It's good but I got sick of the notifications. If you want to go the free route, definitely go with Avast or avira, AVG is good but it doesn't seem to detect as well as the other two.

IMO, avast is the best u can get, also u need some antispyware, either go with spybot or for a really good one, go with spysweeper, little pricey if u want the spysweeper, but its the best u can get, IMO. You can have two diff antispyware programs but not two antivirus programs. Id go with both the spybot and spysweeper at the same time, just so u can be protected completely, and get avast.

Back
Top Bottom