can the pc run 24/7/365

ok, a few days ago, my mom came in and said from now on to turn off the computer at night, because last year she was paying like 180 for the bill, now shes paying 350-400. lol

Nah. I run my computer all the time. When I go to bed I "Folds" and when im at school my computer "Folds". Also hosting a CS server that no one cares about

I've been running my PC 24/7 for the last 3 years(overclocked at that) Air cooling my PC never gets above 48C, I do shut it down and disassemble and clean it once a month though because leaving it on so much does suck in alot of dust

It won't get really hot. That's what the cooling fans and heatsinks are for. As long as those are working the way they're suppose to, you will have no problems leaving it on continuously.

john123 said:
ok, a few days ago, my mom came in and said from now on to turn off the computer at night, because last year she was paying like 180 for the bill, now shes paying 350-400. lol

I highly doubt that the rise would be that much for a computer. Mine has not been turned off for a good few months, and our bills are not rising very much at all. And yes, you can leave them on all the time, but they will require restarts every now and again, because of the files building up in the temp folder. Hence one of the reasons servers have 99% uptime.

Also, did you know, that to switch a computer on and off, on and off, on and off, is more expensive, as oppose to having it on all the time..

I leave mine on all the time,except when power outages and when replacing things.Tell mom power bills higher because oil cost's more ;) :D

Computers will reach a running temperature, they will maintan that temperature no matter how long they're on for. Most servers are on 24/7/365, my school had their network servers on constant for 5 years, if there was a power outage they would just restart straight after.

A computer can run constantly for however long you want.

It can even run through a power cut - you just need to invest in a UPS.

OS's like win xp do need to be rebooted once in a while. But other than that there is no need to reboot, most servers are unix (linux for example) because they really don't lose performance if not rebooted.

And about the power bill, if u think about it keeping the computer on all the time doesn't costs too much. A computer under full load uses maybe like 350W of power. A normal light bulb is 40W or 60W. Don't know if u can compare them like this, but I don't know why u couldn't.

Back
Top Bottom