Boot Time is Killing Me!!!!!

drumthrasher

Fully Optimized
I HATE HAVING my computer take 1.5-2 minutes to boot. i've done everything i could. got rid of any unwanted startup items/services, lots of cleanup and scans and stuff. idk what to do anymore! a system re-do, as i call it (reinstalling xp) is not an option for me. i would rather not do that...

Microsoft Bootvis can help. Download it and run it. What it does is prioritize your startup programs. It shaved about 2-3 seconds off my boot time.

Start Menu> Run> MSConfig. Go to the BOOT.INI tab, and find the /NOGUIBOOT box and check it. What that does is take out that Windows logo and loading bar we've all seen for the better part of 5 years. :p It also helps cut boot time.

Some set date for defragging can help too. Maybe every other weekend or the end of every month etc.

Go to the Services tab in MSConfig and check off the programs you don't need to start at login. If you're not sure which ones are crucial system files, check the box that says "Hide All Microsoft Services."

Go to the Startup tab and do the same thing as well. Just uncheck the programs you don't need at startup.

Go to Start Menu> All Programs> Startup. If you have any programs there, just start nuking away, because those just take up resources. When you login and everything is loading, the computer also loads those, but chances are you don't need any of them.

Those should help quicken your boot time a bit. :)

I have just done something that could speed my computer up alot.

Go to System in Control Panel, and in Advanced, go to Performance, and then to Advanced again. Click on Change, under Virtual Memory.

Now, if you have a secondary Slave drive (i,e a real hard drive, not just a partition or something), set the page file to this instead, and set the one on the Windows drive to 2 minimum -50mb allocated only.

The one on the next drive however, put the maximum to the recommended size, and the minimum to around a half that.

Now reset as it instructs.

Follow then to run a defrag :)

I hope this speeds things up.

CUSTOM PC:

Custom PC did this to one of their PC's, and originally got a 1.31 (a type of score they give computers), yet, after doing the above, jumped this to 1.34 after a series of tests.
This is a 20 second advantage over a computer without the 2 simple steps above. Yes, 20 seconds.

Kage, Alvino...i'll be trying both of ur recommendations...thanks! Boot up isnt very slow right now but faster is always better.

one more trick that helps in the load time of your OS, just right click my computer / properties / advanced tab / where it says startup and recovery, just click the settings button / in there at the top left windows change the two settings from 30 to 3 , in both little windows, that should make boot time faster.

"I'VE DONE EVERYTHING I COULD". literally, i've done all of this before anything.

and bootvis, honestly, does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. it actually takes longer to boot up whenever i use that. it sucks!
oh well...i guess now i turn the computer on, then for 2 minutes go do something while waiting...lol.

alvino said:
Microsoft Bootvis can help. Download it and run it. What it does is prioritize your startup programs. It shaved about 2-3 seconds off my boot time.

Start Menu> Run> MSConfig. Go to the BOOT.INI tab, and find the /NOGUIBOOT box and check it. What that does is take out that Windows logo and loading bar we've all seen for the better part of 5 years. :p It also helps cut boot time.

Some set date for defragging can help too. Maybe every other weekend or the end of every month etc.

Go to the Services tab in MSConfig and check off the programs you don't need to start at login. If you're not sure which ones are crucial system files, check the box that says "Hide All Microsoft Services."

Go to the Startup tab and do the same thing as well. Just uncheck the programs you don't need at startup.

Go to Start Menu> All Programs> Startup. If you have any programs there, just start nuking away, because those just take up resources. When you login and everything is loading, the computer also loads those, but chances are you don't need any of them.

Those should help quicken your boot time a bit. :)

Don't you love that magazine that i let you borrow :) It speeds it up very quickly. You can actually feel a difference.

Haha, I didn't want to buy it since you had it. :p Magazines cost a lot these days.

drumthrasher said:
"I'VE DONE EVERYTHING I COULD". literally, i've done all of this before anything.

and bootvis, honestly, does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. it actually takes longer to boot up whenever i use that. it sucks!
oh well...i guess now i turn the computer on, then for 2 minutes go do something while waiting...lol.

Weird...worked for me. When I first tried all of those, my boot time took about 45-50 seconds. :D Of course, after a while it starts taking longer due to the clutter etc.

do you have any programs set to do boot scans. When I used norton and had it do a bootscan it would slow down my PC's boot time.

Back
Top Bottom