Weird Network Issue

Funker_joe

Beta member
So today when I was checking if I had added a network printer, I noticed something very strange. I looked in My Network Places (WinXP Pro) and I saw a computer on there that wasn't mine. Somehow, a computer not on my network was sharing files with me. I didn't believe it at first, but I double-clicked the shared folder, and it allowed me to access their files!

I have no idea how this happened, but all I can figure is it has something to do with my wireless router that I'm using. I also unshared all of my drives on my network until I can figure out what's up.

Any ideas of how potenally dangerous this is? Or how I can fix it so my network drives require a password?

Thanks,

-Joe

I wish I knew anything about routers... I don't know.

EDIT: I disabled the wireless radio connection in the router settings page since I don't use it. I think that will do it.

you need to set up your router as a secured network, look in your manual and it should walk you through how to do it. someone is logging onto your wireless, prolly a neighbor looking for free internet. better lock it down.

Back
Top Bottom