Windows XP and SATA

sp33dball

Solid State Member
I have a strange computer senario and maybe someone can shed some light on my demlmia.

I have a Gateway Laptop in which I bought a SATA Hard Drive, and an external casing. Using USB 2.0 I was able to install windows XP and boot off of this harddrive (had to alter XP a bit) and it runs much faster than the hard drive that came with the laptop. However I wanted to push the SATA to it's maximum and bought a SATA PCI BUS Card.

On the old harddrive it will detect the PCI Bus and harddrive and read it normally. However I cannot use the old boot config to boot windows (it does not detect the SATA).

So now I need to reinstall windows with the SATA config, however when in the windows setup (Press F6 to install SCSI/RAID drivers) windows only looks for a floppy drive which my laptop does not have. Any suggestions?

Have you gone into BIOS and changed the boot order? Usually, there is some issue there. Will the hard drive still work normally, without the pci bus connector>

Just changed the boot order, had no effect... As for without the pci bus i can hook the drive up thru USB 2.0, but the reason I got the PCI bus is to get the full potential of the drive (SATA) rather than the speed of the USB.

--The laptop lets me choose 4 options for boot sequence,
1. Harddrive (internal/when USB external is hooked up)
2. CD-ROM
3. Remote Devices (this doesn't work for SATA)
4. Network

If you can, try a different pci bus and see if it works. Otherwise, you might be stuck with usb...

Nope I don't have any extra, I had just purchased this one from Newegg. Not too worried about it probably will end up returning it in the next few days if I cannot figure out a solution. Thanks for the tips.

What you need to SATA drivers, so that Windows XP can find the hard drive. I had this problem.

What you can do is put your Windows CD into your PC, and make an ISO of it. Then download nLite and the SATA drivers. One of the options is to put your own SATA drivers on the Windows CD. Do that and write the new Windows XP to a different CD :)

Hope this helps.

Alright I'll try that out, had to do something similar to get it to boot off USB. (except it required changing INF files.. that was a pain)

Back
Top Bottom