Computer running really slow...

Matt08642

Daemon Poster
Ya so, my computer has been running terribly slow lately. Like, it takes a minute and a half just to open things like firefox, or msn messenger.

I have scanned with:
Norton Anti-Virus
Ad-Aware SE
Spybot: Search & Destroy

I have also done a disk defrag...

What could be slowing me down so badly?

Specs:
Windows XP Media Center Edition
AMD Athlon 64 2500+
BFG Tech GeForce 7300GS OC
1GB DDR SDRAM
Integrated sound
200GB HD

Any help is really appreciated, thanks!

try running all those things in safe mode, also try disabling startup items, also try getting hijack this and looking for nasties, also try and find a registry cleaner. the best thing though would be a format. i do it every so often to keep my pc clean and fast

I'll do the Hijack this thing in a second.

How do I attatch the hijack this log?

First though, I'm just wondering something...

I got a BFG Tech GeForce 7300GS OC and on the box it says: 256MB DDR2, but in DXDiag and other things, it says this:

gfxsv9.jpg

why is it 512MB?

hmm that is strange hve u checked in the nvidia control panel to see what that is reportin, If u have got 512mb of video memory then u sir are truely blessed lol!!

And as for the slowness wen was ur last reformat, sum people mite not recomend this but i like to reformat my machine every 3-4 months!!

altho obviously u shudnt have to, can i ask how many processes u have running n btw media centre is quite a slow operating system in my 1hr of expereince!

I have a lot of stuff I don't want to reinstall, mainly because I A) Borrowed it from someone who lives far away or B) Lost the install disks.

rite ok so reformattin is out of the window. hmmm
how many processes do u have runnin?? is there any software wchich u dont use that could be uninstalled, do u run disk cleanup and disk defragmenter regularly can i ask if u have a firewall installed!

I defragment every week, I do disk cleanup every 2 days, I don't think I have a firewall...

rite i take it your computer is a a hp/compaq 1 then, try uninstalling some of the unessacary bumf software that comes wiv ur machine, also run msconfig and delet unnessacary startup entries! each startup entry does a certain job if u google the name u will get an answer to wot it does n therefore decide whther to disable it or not!

Back
Top Bottom