computer freezes before booting

CryingMustard

Beta member
I looked through the other related threads but didn't find anything that worked, so I thought I'd explain my situation. I had a computer made for me earlier in the summer. It started out working fine until about a month ago. I started randomly freezing.. usually an hour or more after it was turned on. That time got progressively shorter and shorter. It yesterday it would freeze anywhere during the boot squence and if not then just moments after windows finished loading. Today it won't get past the first screen that come up displaying my mother board. Can't get into BIOS. Can't really do anything. Hitting reset does little. Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

What I'm working with:
DYNAPOWER USA EP-50X.C563-BX ATX12V 500W Power Supply

ASUS A8S-X Socket 939 SiS 756 ATX AMD Motherboard

MSI RX550-TD256E Radeon X550 256MB GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 2.0GHz Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3200BPBOX

OCZ Value Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model OCZ4001024V25DC-K

It must still be under warranty, I'd return it to the vendor and get them to sort it out, if you can't even get to the bios there is not much you can do.

The fact that it has progressively got worse to the point of now being virtually "useless" would point to failing hardware. At the risk of voiding your warranty you could try reseating your ram, trying one ram stick at a time, unplugging all but the most basic components e.g. 1 ram stick, vid card, HDD and see if you have any success but basically I'd look to the vendor for a warranty repair.

Warranty? The parts were bought off newegg and the computer was put together, so I'll see what I can do there. I will try and see how much of the hardware I can test before I give up on it.

Most pc parts will come with a 1 year manufacturers warranty, some, like certain brands of ram have a lifetime warranty. Basically to rma any faulty parts to newegg you are going to have to isolate which parts they are.

I'd look at ram first, try each stick individually. Do you have another pc you can test your components in? Test your psu with a voltage meter to ensure it is delivering enough power, try your hdd in another pc etc.

The fact you can no longer access the bios would lead me to ram first then m/board next.

You may like to try running Memtest86, it may run.

EDIT: Worst case scenario is a dying (dead) m/board

Back
Top Bottom