What makes the Athlon 64 so good?

I just got a new AMD Athlon 64 3700+ and it pwns all my friends processors... at just about everything. They are just unbelievably fast for what you pay for (I payed $100 for mine). Still, the Core 2 Duo does beat out the Athlon 64, but I haven't seen a core 2 duo for $100 yet!

So? Sure, for under $100, some Athlon 64's are a good deal. Pretty much the only way AMD can even cope for now. Sure, the E6600 is about $300+, but you get VERY good performance for the money.

AMD is the cheaper CPU, main reason why I went with them. Core Duo blows them outta the wata.

Well I guess everybody agrees that if you take away the Athlon 64's 64 bit capabilities that it won't make a difference. It will still work the same way.

The fact is, if you want a cheap and capable CPU, the Athlon 64 is a good way to go. If you want the best bang for your buck, Core 2 Duo is THE way to go.

I'm content right now. I just had to settle that debate with my friend.When I upgrade I'm definitely going Intel core duo and Sli.

My next build will probably be AMD assuming that I do do one. The price drops are insane. And you can build a decent computer for next to nothing and then some with a few extra bucks.

Seconded, arrizx. I'm really thinking about getting a cheap x2 cpu... sooo cheap! The athalon is good because of it's own on-die memory controller, thermal effectivness, and great 64-bit processing qualities. Sorry if this was posted earlier...

I'm gonna get an X2 as well when they drop a little bit more.. upgrade from this 3200+.. it wont be a core 2 duo, but it sure as hell will pack a punch.

Yeha, and then I'll oc my x2 like my 3500+. Make it kick-@$$. Maybe the 5000+ would be nice... nah, too much $$$. I'm thinking the 4800+ if possible, or the 4400+ if I need to save some cash...

Back
Top Bottom