XP pro activation

cnl83

Baseband Member
I have a friend that had bought a PC off of ebay some time ago, and the windows XP expired on them. I called microsoft and his pc came equipped with a pirated key or something. They have quite a bit information on that pc, so I dont want to format or reinstall windows. Im wondering how should I go about activating this system? If I go purchase a copy at the local office depot, can I just punch in the key?

Im sure you can punch in the key, once you buy it.Im not sure how you get to the screen where this occurs, but ms can easily tell you..

cnl83 said:
I have a friend that had bought a PC off of ebay some time ago, and the windows XP expired on them. I called microsoft and his pc came equipped with a pirated key or something. They have quite a bit information on that pc, so I dont want to format or reinstall windows. Im wondering how should I go about activating this system? If I go purchase a copy at the local office depot, can I just punch in the key?
don't purchase from a local store just like that.. that will only give you an upgrade edition.. which would only work for you if you had some 9x based OS installed (98, me, etc)

The key however.. I dont' think would work with an OEM version or w/e version that PC uses... there is a way to change the cd-key without reinstalling windows.. but you need a hack to do that. (or it's somewhere in the registry and I just don't know where...)

if you get a key for the full version of xp that you have, do a repair install and that will let you change the key. there is a program that will let you change it as well but i can't remember offhand what it is called.

MikeReiner said:
don't purchase from a local store just like that.. that will only give you an upgrade edition.. which would only work for you if you had some 9x based OS installed (98, me, etc).
That is incorrect, you only need a Windows disk (any Windows disk except Win95 will work) to verify previous ownership to install XP from an upgrade disk. There is no requirement for a previous os to be installed.

I would get a disk and do a repair install.

DILLIGAF said:
That is incorrect, you only need a Windows disk (any Windows disk except Win95 will work) to verify previous ownership to install XP from an upgrade disk. There is no requirement for a previous os to be installed.

I would get a disk and do a repair install.
Yeah your right, I forgot that it could verify the disk rather than force you to have the OS installed.. i've never personally used an upgrade edition CD.. soo yeah.

PLmatt91 said:
Newegg.com -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832116056

Format the disk and don't whine if you lose your data, it will happen eventually.
He could just burn his data to cds..

Im rather sure that if you have a bad copy of XP and you try to Windows update the computer, it will tell you that your copy is not geniune. Now when this happens i think that windows gives you a link that allows you to get a nice Product code online. But if you want to stay on the evil side and not by a product code, there are ways to get full access without paying a cent. But that last past is a secret..lol

Back
Top Bottom