Parent in trouble

Exactly! That's what I was talking about.

Anyways, getting back on topic, I have to say that you really should take it away and find some way to find out what he's doing. There's a way to get that information, you just have to find out what that way is.

Your son is 17, maybe he has a GF, maybe hes gay who knows but frankly I don't think its any of your business. I know of a way around the paswords however i'll refrain from giving it to you simply to let your son make his own mistakes and learn from them, if what he is even doing is a mistake.

Ok, in my opinion you have two options:

1. You let him be (which I don't think is a good idea, since he seems to be at an unhealthy point right now.)

2. You TELL him that you want to know what's going on. Talk to him... I mean, come on! You're the parent here, so YOU should be the one who's not afraid to bring up an awkward topic. If you think he's doing x y and z, ask him if he is. If he says no, then ask him what he IS doing. Again, you are a parent so YOU can take away the laptop.

Instead of secretly implimenting a spying software, why don't you TELL him that you're going to? I would be absolutely outraged if someone tried to spy on me without telling me (Not that I do anything bad, but privacy is important!) Not to mention, with all that time in front of the PC, hes probably pretty computer savvy and isn't going to be fooled by some bloated keylogging software that you can find in the task manager.

IMO you need to think less technically about this, and more like a parent. It's fine that you don't completely trust him with all of that time on the laptop; it's not okay to betray HIS trust for you though by secretly hacking his system. If you want to monitor what he's doing, you have to tell him. Of course he'll give you attitude about it, but if you want to make sure what he's doing is safe, then that shouldn't matter.

I'm 17 years old and spend a good chunk of time on the computer (but I think I do a good job of balancing out with my actual life) and quite honestly if my parents told me they wanted to put parental controls on my computer, I would be pissed off. But they're my parents and I have respect for them and I would clearly let them do what they say because otherwise they'd take away the computer. However, if I found a keylogger that they put on without telling me, I would probably stop speaking with them.

Privacy is important, but if my parents are the ones paying for the internet and a lot of my computer parts, they have every right to inquire what I'm doing (as long as they TELL me). Sure, all they'll find is hours of AIM chats and answering CF questions like these :p but if they want to know, they have the right. And the same should be no different for you.

Oh god now I'm getting all grr about parents these days, but seriously... don't let you're kids control you. It's borderline pathetic. For gods sake, just take away the laptop. He can be pissed off all he wants, but you can be sure he's not using the computer.

Well, I've gone completely off topic now, but bottom line is that I refuse to give you any help with password cracking. And this is not because it is illegal (believe me, I have no problem with that), it's because as a parent you shouldn't have to resort to secretly spying on your kid to feel like you know them. Good luck, either way.

Nik00117 said:
Your son is 17, maybe he has a GF, maybe hes gay who knows but frankly I don't think its any of your business. I know of a way around the paswords however i'll refrain from giving it to you simply to let your son make his own mistakes and learn from them, if what he is even doing is a mistake.

Yeah, and what if his son is in a gang, and gets shot, and this couldve been known by lookin on his laptop..I dont know why you would even say you know how to solve it, but then not say how, your better not saying anything at all!

Yeah, and what if his son is in a gang, and gets shot, and this couldve been known by lookin on his laptop..I dont know why you would even say you know how to solve it, but then not say how, your better not saying anything at all!

I've know gang members, they don't tend to sit up at their laptops for hours and hours.

Guys, whether hes a gang member or just some teenager in love doesn't give his Dad the right to install a keylogger on his computer without even telling him

I agree, if a parent ever came to me wanting me to crack her sons PC to find out what he is doing i'd promptly show them the door and ask them to keep on walking.

Alright, just letting you know, a parent wouldnt get on a forum, and go through all this trouble, unless they were VERY worried..Although, Ive offered as much as I know, I have no idea where this thread will go..

Well, like I said I'm not going to point him in the direction of any keyloggers or whatever because that isn't right... G35x, I guess you are kind of right, that the parent must be very worried. JohnGray, if you have tried everything I suggested in my long post on page 1 without success, then this is as far as I will get you:

http://www.loginrecovery.com/index.html

I've used it like 4 times, 100% success for me (and it doesnt change the password or anything)

Please though, don't install a keylogger; it's just not fair.

I have met parents that use password crackers etc to get into myspace e-mail msn etc and generally spy on their kids like mad, and those kids are prob some of the worst kids I have met, cause they are so utterely ticked off at thier parents they simply dont' care.

Yet thekids with parnets like mine who generally stay out of my life not brothering to know every single detail of what I did at my last praty etc kids like me generally stay away from drugs (as I generally do) and the parents generally know if I am going out to drink or somthing as i do.

I haver seen countless kids go out and just get totally trashed and their only reason is cause their parents told them not too.

Back
Top Bottom