Adblocking - Ruining The Internet?

out of interest...
how much does CF cost to host, (I realise that it's a network of forums the you have)

The host we used to use, ev1servers, we had a package there for $329/month

I have an ad blocker but I only disable it for sites I like (like this one). If I know a site is non profit and I know that there's a godo reason for ads, then I let them display. But if they look like spam or something bad I block them.

I dont believe it costs that much tbh, webhosting is a myth - its cheaper than you think. There is just a lot of text shipping around here, not using up THAT much bandwidth Think about how many page refreshes and messages you need to send to add up even 512kb let alone 1024 of bandwidth to even equal a mb.

I don't think adblocking could ruin the internet, but it could have a drastic effect if enough people do it. Like I said before, I let the good ads through. What I consider good ads are the ones at places like this, or if it's at another forum or something where someone uses the ads to pay for the costs or to help pay for the costs. I block the ads that are spam and stuff like that because I don't want to see that while I'm on a forum or surfing the net.

Renegadeandy said:
I dont believe it costs that much tbh, webhosting is a myth - its cheaper than you think. There is just a lot of text shipping around here, not using up THAT much bandwidth Think about how many page refreshes and messages you need to send to add up even 512kb let alone 1024 of bandwidth to even equal a mb.
Shared hosting is cheap, but large sites need dedicated solutions, not because of bandwidth, more-less because they need lots of resources.

Renegadeandy said:

Not even close. Places like CF need 15 to 30 gigs a month to just operate. Check the stats on CF.
Threads: 42,162, Posts: 448,787, Members: 14,973
Let's start with the members. Each one has 2 profiles. Sign up and the one they can edit. Almost 15,000 members. You're talking about chewing up some drive space. And the site software has to keep up with all that. Makes for a fairly large database matrix also.
Posts. Now you're talking about almost half a MILLION posts. And keep in mind a large portion of them have pictures links in them. Now the database is starting to bulge at the seams. Still think it's not even a meg? It's in the gig range now. And the party's just getting started. But I'm not going to take it any farther.
In the colonies dedicated servers are real pricey. And you get what you pay for. Well that applies anywhere. A dedicated server means you are the only customer on that server. You're going to pay dearly for the exclusive use of the server box, the maintance of it, and the connection to the outside world. It's not cheap. Average costs around 200 US dollars and it goes up from there.

setishock said:
Not even close. Places like CF need 15 to 30 gigs a month to just operate. Check the stats on CF.
Threads: 42,162, Posts: 448,787, Members: 14,973
Let's start with the members. Each one has 2 profiles. Sign up and the one they can edit. Almost 15,000 members. You're talking about chewing up some drive space. And the site software has to keep up with all that. Makes for a fairly large database matrix also.
Posts. Now you're talking about almost half a MILLION posts. And keep in mind a large portion of them have pictures links in them. Now the database is starting to bulge at the seams. Still think it's not even a meg? It's in the gig range now. And the party's just getting started. But I'm not going to take it any farther.
In the colonies dedicated servers are real pricey. And you get what you pay for. Well that applies anywhere. A dedicated server means you are the only customer on that server. You're going to pay dearly for the exclusive use of the server box, the maintance of it, and the connection to the outside world. It's not cheap. Average costs around 200 US dollars and it goes up from there.

I would argue that the space that is used inefficiently, the information that you have posted 14,963 members, how many of those members have actually accessed the forum in the last 12 months, again how many have accessed in the last 24 months.

Also again threads from 2-3 years ago how often are they accessed, are they archived etc?

Therefore my question would be, by keeping the database tidy, and not bulging at the seams as setis put it, does that in fact cost extra money, or does it have no effect, apart from slow down, and instabilities?

Setishock - you may think thats a lot of data, it is, but its stationery drive space, and i seriously doubt its oevr 80gb, Seriously doubt it.

In terms of bandwidth, I would guess about 20gb a month MAX there are only about 15 dedicated members here for crying out loud.

Back
Top Bottom