Hardware performace degradation

The 6800GT I believe was replaced by the 6800GS, and the 7600GS and GT. The 7600 series of course being slightly better, and also in places, around the same price as the 6800GS.

Though this may not even be close to the problem, what I would suggest is checking the video card fan. If it's been a really long time since you've used it, it could have easily accumulated a lot of dust, which could KILL your cooling. Most NVIDIA cards reduce clock speeds when they get too hot so they can cool down a little, so that could just possibly be your problem. It really does sound like a graphics problem; as your processor looks great, and your RAM is pretty good for BF2. I'd invest in a better video card if you can't find out what's causing this. Like a 7900GS for $200, or a X850XT for just $120. Of course the 7900GS would be better, but if you're on a relatively tight budget the X850XT is a pretty close follower.

If this doesn't fix your problem, I'm sorry; excessive dust would be my best guess. If you've got something to monitor the temperatures of the card, you can do that before checking the fan. I just think it might possibly be overheating.

I wouldn't be suprised if it was Windows. Try what Kage suggested. Do defrag, and download CCleaner and clean out all those trash programs. Sometimes it could just be your computer getting bogged down with crap.

Of course, it wouldn't hurt to do a complete checkup on your computer hardware. Cleaning out the dust and crap that gets accumulated may help your temperatures if not performance. :)

Thats the weird think. I was told a reformat was done, and didn't do anything, suggesting either the hard drive is damaged itself, or...i don't know...

THEpiGUY said:
I'd invest in a better video card if you can't find out what's causing this.

why?
a 6800GT is very capable of running bf2 with high settings without ANY lag. (may require more ram than 1gb though) And yes, I have a 6800GT and bf2 so I am speaking from experience.

But checking for dust is always a good idea. If it ain't the problem then atleast u cleaned ur computer and now u have better temps.

Yeah, I have a 6800GS, and I can play for instance Doom 3/FEAR (minus Smooth Shadows)/Half Life 2 at full settings. I'm sure it could run BF2 also.

Back
Top Bottom