i wanna get an internship at a local computer store

Yeah, just go there and talk to them, whats the worst they can say...no? You could work there after school and be like a gopher or something..."hey John, go get me one of these" or "hey John, go do this for me". You know, stuff like that. Just as long as you show some ambition and willingness to learn, I'm sure they'd at least consider it.
It would be a lot better if you actually knew the people though.

Edit: And he's not actually going to be employed, he's not old enough for that.

Although root is right, it never hurts to try. On the other hand, some shops, whe you will be older, may take you if you're just a computer savy...meaning, no diploma. I passed close to get one, but I sort of panicked on the phone as English speaking is crap.

Since you are so young, i would not recommend trying to apply as an employee or internship either, labor laws...go into the shop and speak to the owner. Tell him what you know, dont BS on stuff you dont, and let him know that you are seeking him as a mentor because you are interested in pursuing this field careerwise. You will most likely need to answer why you chose him. Again, be honest. Good luck

To be honest, your age will REALLY make it hard on the guy, to say yes, because really, not a lot of 13 yr olds are into computers..Also, you know, he might not want someone so young, because if you break a part, or mess something up big time, he cant just blame you, ur 13...I dont know, just go and ask, see what happens...Do you got to the shop often, if I were you, just to make it better/more casual, buy like case fan, at the register, just start a convo with him..Show him cf, let me know you are dedicated and what not..

I agree keep it informal. And as others have said DO NOT BS. If he asks your past experiences regradles of little they are explain it to him. Me and my guy that I worked for have a good reletionship, I talk to him here and there we chit chat about stuff, and if he needs me he calls me (hasn't happened yet) at first I did a lot of meager stuff like trash, invetory etc then towards the later part where he started seeing "This kid knows a lil somthing and I can trust him more"

And if you get it, don't get pushy bossy etc. However don't be shy, if your dealing with a customer make the customer aware hey i'm a intern etc and try to let your boss handle the custoemrs. Its what I did unless my boss was really busy or somthing i'd be like ah ok let me get him etc and what not.

Maybe even take your parnets with you, if he sees that your parents support you he may even be more supportive of you.

Nik00117 said:
I agree keep it informal. And as others have said DO NOT BS. If he asks your past experiences regradles of little they are explain it to him. Me and my guy that I worked for have a good reletionship, I talk to him here and there we chit chat about stuff, and if he needs me he calls me (hasn't happened yet) at first I did a lot of meager stuff like trash, invetory etc then towards the later part where he started seeing "This kid knows a lil somthing and I can trust him more"

And if you get it, don't get pushy bossy etc. However don't be shy, if your dealing with a customer make the customer aware hey i'm a intern etc and try to let your boss handle the custoemrs. Its what I did unless my boss was really busy or somthing i'd be like ah ok let me get him etc and what not.

Maybe even take your parnets with you, if he sees that your parents support you he may even be more supportive of you.

Yeah, defintly take your parents, because if you walk in alone, he will prooly think ohh some 13 yr old random kid, will come for 2 days, and then will never be seen again...Take ur parents, but ehh I duno, tell them to kind of just look around lol..It would be off if they're there with u, while u ask, and then the guy might be put on the spot..Some places are cool and some arent, Nikoo u got lucky, like I mean how ur cool with the boss and all..

Just give them a call, they will know what an internship is, chances are they've had them there before

Back
Top Bottom