Will partitioning help speed?

Yes but if I make a partition, do I need to reformat all of the hard drive that all my files are currently on?

no, only the partititon you just made : for instance if you made two other partitions (L) and (m) , then you will need to format each one indiviually. just right click each one and scroll down to format. once that's done you can rename it too, you can give it what ever name you want.

When I try to create a new partition, I get the message that the unpartitioned space is reserved for XP Partitioning information or something? The unpartitioned space is only like 8MB and the XP Partition takes up the remainder of the hard disk drive. Suggestions?

if it does'nt let you make a partition in the unpartitioned space then just use the already partitioned one that has windows on it. it will tell you, you can not have two windows on the same partition, but you can.

windows will normally be :C\windows , when you install windows again on the same partition, it should ask you to put it somewhere else. you can then put in :C\windows\ two << this can be what ever name you want

the second install of windows will now go to :C\windows\two

and after it's all installed, reboot the computer , right after your computer logo disappears keep hitting the ESC key to bring up the list of OS's, it should be like this:

Windows xp << this one will be the one installed to :c\windows two
Windows xp << this one will be the one installed to :c\windows

just highlight the one you want to boot-up & hit enter

partitions wont speed up anything. only thing it will do is cut down on fragmentation and that may help speed.

Back
Top Bottom