which is faster mhz or ghz

ownage said:
First off, superpi wont run on Itaniums :p And superpi is only single threaded. So more cores does not equal better performance. Superpi is all about low latency and high clock speeds and memory bandwidth (yet, the A64 gets trampled by the Conroes) The 32MB L3 cache only helps up to a certain extent. It will benefit more in the longer super pi (32M) But you wont get very far trying to run Superpi.
32MB L3? Wait that is from motherboard right?

All cache is integrated into the processor now. They used to have cache on the motherboard, but that was back in the days of the first Pentium.

Haha I'd never buy a VIA CPU after I've tried my dads laptop. It has a 1GHZ Via I believe, and its slower in performance than my old 200MHZ Pentium 1 was, and I'm not joking. Mhz and Ghz isn't everything.

X1337 said:
:eek: Sweet. SuperPI?
Haha! No, Itaniums are not like x86-64. They are x64 only. They won't run on superPi as they are not 64-bit...but don't worry. All their servers are 64-bit devices, so the drivers will work.

Usually, like Ownage said, Itanums are hyper-threaded, but the Itanium 2 is Dual core. They have these special socket, and I think they're called Socket P if my brain doesn't forget, and they have all the power of servers and all. Itaniums ARE expensive.

X1337 said:
32MB L3? Wait that is from motherboard right?
No, 32MB of Level 3 cache is on the Itanium CPU. It can be as low as 512k, and go as high as 32MB...or was it 24?

Since you seems wondered what it looks like,

CPU:
260px-Itanium2.JPG

Socket and board
3873.jpg

Then, you plug it in to an actual motherboard with an expansion slot.

They only use like 160GB for ease of use. Imagine saying something like 163840MB
Gah I know, I personnally perfer my HD saying 320 GIG instead of 297.753535 GIG HD.

My hard drives are 114.49 and the 160 one is 154...but I prefer saying what they say on label lol!

lhuser said:
Haha! No, Itaniums are not like x86-64. They are x64 only. They won't run on superPi as they are not 64-bit...but don't worry. All their servers are 64-bit devices, so the drivers will work.

Usually, like Ownage said, Itanums are hyper-threaded, but the Itanium 2 is Dual core. They have these special socket, and I think they're called Socket P if my brain doesn't forget, and they have all the power of servers and all. Itaniums ARE expensive.

No, 32MB of Level 3 cache is on the Itanium CPU. It can be as low as 512k, and go as high as 32MB...or was it 24?

Since you seems wondered what it looks like,

CPU:
260px-Itanium2.JPG

Socket and board
3873.jpg

Then, you plug it in to an actual motherboard with an expansion slot.
What I ment to say is. Is 32Mb Cache on the CPU board its self. But I guess its inside the CPU.. Like Pentuim pro

Kage said:
Haha I'd never buy a VIA CPU after I've tried my dads laptop. It has a 1GHZ Via I believe, and its slower in performance than my old 200MHZ Pentium 1 was, and I'm not joking. Mhz and Ghz isn't everything.

Haha, they used to be the suck. Now they're actually not bad. The newest VIA processors use less than 1W of power under load. They hardly emit any heat either.

Back
Top Bottom