Hardware performace degradation

Argon

Baseband Member
Hey,
I bought my computer just over a year ago, and back then it purred like a kitten. I could play bf2 on highest graphics settings without so much as a burp. I took a small break from gaming, and recently, after formatting my computer, I have come back for more, but my cpu hardly purrs anymore. I can't play most recent games on high graphics settings without hardcore annoying lag. I was wondering if there was any reason for this degradation, or maybe I just need to clean the inside of my tower?

Specs:
AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 4400+, 2.21 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 6800
1GB RAM
MSI K8N Neo4 Sli motherboard
Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS

Any help would help, thanks

it MAY be the vid card, it defentaly isnt the X2
Try buying another 6800 and SLI'ing them together

other than that i dont see any reason you should be getting any lag in games

Shouldn't be about the vid card. I have a 6800GT (yes, this is a little better) and I can run most games on high settings. Actually every game I've tried exept for Oblivion.

So have u tried bf2? How does it run?
U could try updating the vid card drivers, also cleaning the hsf on the vid card would drop the temps a little, though this shouldn't have a big effect on performance if the card is not overheating. (which I doubt) But u could still check the temps.

Hmm, maybe its simply your Windows installation getting bogged down with stuff.

Try running a cleanup using Accessories/System Tools/Cleanup, and get rid of anything there.

If you have any protection programs (antivirus/spyware) as you should have, and there are many free ones out there, you should do a scan and clean/delete what they show.

Then, try a defrag which may also speed things up. (Accessories/System Tools)

If none of this helps, if you backed up, a fresh install of windows would probably do the job, if you wanted to reformat and start over.

Argon said:
Hey,
I bought my computer just over a year ago, and back then it purred like a kitten. I could play bf2 on highest graphics settings without so much as a burp. I took a small break from gaming, and recently, after formatting my computer, I have come back for more, but my cpu hardly purrs anymore. I can't play most recent games on high graphics settings without hardcore annoying lag. I was wondering if there was any reason for this degradation, or maybe I just need to clean the inside of my tower?

Specs:
AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 4400+, 2.21 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 6800
1GB RAM
MSI K8N Neo4 Sli motherboard
Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS

Any help would help, thanks

How much space to you have on your hard drive? currently free.

That could also be it Spec, good idea :)

Sorry, I would have expected a reformat to do the job since its a clean install. Which leads me to believe, that either your parts are diminishing (i dont see how), or your hard drive is getting slower or bulked up like Spec says.

You may want to invest in a program such as System Mechanic 6 Professional. It's made by iolo Technologies. Great program, and any computer I have had has ran wonderfully after diagnostics from this program. The program itself will let you know when diagnostics (tune-up) needs to be ran, which is the best feature IMO.

Check them out! IOLO - http://www.iolo.com

Spec said:
How much space to you have on your hard drive? currently free.

on my C drive, where games are installed I have about 10 Gigs free, that should be more than enough, no? I have other drives that do have very little free space but how would that affect the performance of a program on my C drive? I will try the driver suggested above to see if that does anything.

I wish I had $200 to dish out to get another SLI graphics card, although I noticed that I couldn't find an NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT, did they stop making them? That is all I can SLI with right?

Back
Top Bottom