CD/DVD Drive replacement?

Heidi87

Beta member
The CD/DVD drive on my Compaq Presario R3000 laptop broke somehow while I was travelling, and I paid a repair shop $70 just to be told that it didn't work lol (That much I figured out myself!)Anyhow, the new part from compaq was incredibly expensive and the warranty on my laptop had just expired at the end of August, but I was able to acquire a used compatible internal replacement drive.

I was wondering if anyone knew if it would even be possible to replace it, and if it is very hard to do. (would I even be possibly able to do it myself? or do I risk messing things up a whole lot more?) Sorry for imposing on your forum, but I know very little about computers so I hope someone could help me out.

Yeah you can replace it yourself, you have to open up your case and there are 4 screws that hold the cd drive in. Just remove those, remove the cables and just pull the drive out. Then put the new one in, match up the cables and reinstall the screws. Put the case back together and you'll be all set.

Thanks DackofDoom for the links! ( I got mine cheaper than that :) but I appreciate the help anyways!)

Tommy Boy said:
Yeah you can replace it yourself, you have to open up your case and there are 4 screws that hold the cd drive in. Just remove those, remove the cables and just pull the drive out. Then put the new one in, match up the cables and reinstall the screws. Put the case back together and you'll be all set.

Thanks so much! Hopefully I can get it all sorted!

Back
Top Bottom