v0lten

Baseband Member
Ok, Ill try to sum this up alittle.

Heres my system...

P4 3.0 ghz w/ HT
1 gig ram
7800gs 8xagp gfx card
and a PCChips mobo... (i know, lol)

Now, Im not a newb when it comes to tweaking in-game settings and stuff...

Heres the story... I play Counterstrike:Source... before I bought this graphics card, i was averaging around 30 fps... which sucks, whenever Im in a gunfight, my fps drops down below 10. Anyways, I went out and bought the best performanging AGP card I could afford (no PCI-E). I bought the 7800gs, installed it, updated all of my drivers for everything, and I saw a very minimal FPS gain. I average around 40 now. I know a bunch of people with this same card, running everything on HIGH, and blowing away the FPS on all games with 100+FPS constantly. Ive done everything I can possibly think of as to why mine is running slow.... It is not any of the settings in the game, if thats what you think. It has something to do with my computer. One thing I was wondering now was, could it be my POS motherboard? It has an 8xAGP slot, but, maybe something is capping the speed of it or something. Ive changed around all my settings in BIOS to every possible combination to see if something worked, and nothing did. Please help me and post any ideas you have as to why this might be happening.

I am starting to believe that it is my CPU/Mobo that is causing the lag. I hear from a lot of players that Source is CPU heavy. I thought my 3.0 p4 was considered good, but, from what Im learning now, its actually on the low end.

Here are my 3dMark06 scores...
SM2.0 : 1487
HDRSM3.0 : 1427
CPU : 692

I was looking around Newegg for a new mobo/cpu and I came across 2 that I liked and can afford.

This is the mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813123263

and heres the CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103626

Both products got great reviews and they are in my price range. I need a mobo with an 8xAGP slot because I cant afford to go PCI-E and get a new GFX card as well. Im not very familiar with mobos and cpus though, how can you tell if one CPU will fit in the mobo? Is it the Socket 939? They are both Socket 939. What do you guys think of these two products? Will they kick my p4 3.0ghz cpu''s ass?

I just noticed that the CPU type on the Epox mobo doesnt include the Athlon 64 X2 on it. Does this mean that this CPU wont fit this mobo?

I know Ive asked a lot of questions and thanks for reading. Any advice is welcome. I dont want to spend more than $300 for a new CPU/mobo. And the mobo has to have an 8xAGP slot on it. Thanks fellas

the cpu is fine. I'm running a p4 3.0Ghz northwood cpu (s478) with 2gb of ram and a 6800GT (pci-e) and I can run ANY game I want with very good settings. What kind of a power supply do u have? because I'm thinking that there isn't enough power for the hardware, since those parts should give u an awesome fps in css.

And if nothing else helps u can just blame windows and reformat, which should speed things up atleast a little.

My power supply is an Aspire ATX-AS520W

its output is +3.3V@30A, +5V@32A, +12V@35A, -5V@0.3A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2A

it has dual +12v rails. I believe 18v and 17v.

I doubt it is my power supply. Its not Windows, because I reformat a lot.
Its none of the settings in CS:S because I know all of them and have tried millions of things in game to lower it with tweaks. It couldnt be the fact that its AGP... My 7800gs runs a lot faster than some PCI-E cards, just like my brother has. He has a 7600 PCI-E I believe, on a 3800+ Athlon, and he gets 160fps.

Back
Top Bottom