Hi! And a quick HD Q.

geargrinder65

Solid State Member
Hi all, new here :) Looks like a great msg. board!
I have a quick question for ya. I have a hard drive that I had been using for a slave in my desk top (custom rig, XP Pro) and now it's out of the tower, and I need to get the data off it. Can I just connect it with the external USB conversion set-up and get all my files off it that way? Or will it have to be reformatted (and lose all my files) to connect it that way? I could put it back in my desk top if I HAVE TO, but I would rather not if I can avoid it.

PS: I did do a search, but I don't know how to narrow this down enough to get the answer :rolleyes:

It depends on your hard drive enclosure I believe - some drives require the drive to be reformatted. If it doesn't, then you should be OK.

Welcome to Computer forums,

well i believe you can do it via usb,your computer should load up the driver's for it when it detects it, but you might have re-boot after it detects it to read/write to it. you should'nt have a problem transfering over your flies.

if it does'nt work, it's not that hard to pop it back into your computer to retrieve the files.

If you have another drive booting up into Windows, and want to drag files off the one from your desktop, setting it as a Slave should allow you to do that, since its not using Windows, so won't have a problem with the new system.

Back
Top Bottom