4 Pin Gromet on motherboard?

slayer322

In Runtime
Ok, i have and have sold several motherboards with 4 Pin power gromet on the motherboard, im pretty sure its fro OUTPUT of powe only but does anyone know if on any boards have the 4 Pin gromet on the board is for INPUT of power.

You mean the square 4 pin connector on the motherboard? Yeah it's for input of power and you have to have a power supply that has one.

not the 4-Pin 12V plug for the CPU, its a female plug, the same as your hard drive or case fans would have. If i plug a fan into it, the fan runs.

slayer322 said:
not the 4-Pin 12V plug for the CPU, its a female plug, the same as your hard drive or case fans would have. If i plug a fan into it, the fan runs.
do you mean motex plugin? liek where your case fans plugin.. Most newer motherboards need that for extra power

yes, but on mine an a few other motherboards, if i plug a case fan or anything that takes the 4 pin gromet, it functions just like if i were to plug it into a lead from my power supply.

I dunno. I think the 4 pin molex on the mobo powers something like a led or that sort of thing.

your motherboard seems to be reasonably unique, /obscure... i've certainly never heard of this...

what does the manual say? or what is the make/model so that someone could google this?

Notice that 2 of those motherboards are for ATI's Crossfire and one is for Nvidia's SLi. I found this about the Asus A8N-SLi:

Running two videocards in SLI mode draws a lot of power. To help the motherboard deal with the additional load, Asus has also placed a dedicated molex connector just above the first PCI Express slot. Of course if you're only running a single videocard, no additional power is required for smooth operation.

Thats interesting Tommy. I have a question however, what about heat? Shouldnt a PC consumer, like myself, planning on buying a dual sli system soon think about a water cooling system in addition to fans?

Back
Top Bottom