Alternate way of clearing the CMOS...?

THEpiGUY

Daemon Poster
I was trying to clear the CMOS in my computer because I had put my PCI-E frequency too high. To make it easier to get to my battery clip, I unplugged some USB wires that went to my motherboard. These were bundled with my front panel lights and power switch, so they all came out. So I plugged them all back in and made sure my computer still started up; making sure I had them all in the right places (I do stupid things sometimes). I turned my computer on to find out that my CMOS had completely been cleared: date, time, and all of my overclocking settings. Just for the record, if you don't notice, my mobo is an ASUS A8N32, and ever since I figured it out I have done it about 2 or 3 times. Every time it has worked. I did mess with the battery clip, bent it back a little (yeah, bent; it didn't loosen the battery), but it still works and I haven't taken the time to bend it back ever since. I did not touch the CMOS cap (or the jumper, whatever it's called).

Anyone else had this happen? If not, what do you think could be causing this? Thanks in advance for answers...I'm really confused, but it sure is faster than doing the battery & moving the jumper.

Thats what happens when you take the battery out of your motherboard, everything gets cleared....date, time.....etc. Thats the reason for the battery being there in the first place, so it keeps those settings when you unplug your pc.

I understand the process of clearing the CMOS, but I never even took the battery out or touched the jumper. All I did was unplug the front panel SATA light and it cleared it.

This might work for your motherboard and yours only. The best way is to remove the jumpers, and then put them back on. If that doesnt do it, the battery is the only way. Unless you have a DFI board, where they let you "rollback" CMOS settings

Back
Top Bottom