New Memory/ Not performing well.

Reiyoku

In Runtime
Hello I recently had 2x 256 sticks in my computer, I have 4 ram slots used for duel channel too. My problem is, I did have 512 with the 2x 256 sticks, I have them in duel channel. Yesterday I went and bought a 512 stick and put it in the first slot of memory So it was the following

Slot 1:512mb
Slot 2:256mb
Slot 3:Empty
Slot 4:256mb

It something like that.

But sinse My memory is 1gb, I feel my pc is not performing aswell as it should for 1gb

Does anyone know why??

I dont think you can have a 512mb in dual channel with 2x256's

I beleive they have to be the same memory, and sometimes even the same brand.

Yeah but Slot 2 and slot 4 are the duel channel So I put the 512 stick in the first slot so if I got anougher 512 stick it would go in the 3rd slot??

I don't understand

ahh i gotcha. Yes you would put another 512 in the third slot. An extra 512mb of ram should offer a noticable increase in peformance.

Right click on my computer and go to properties. See how much RAM your computer tells you you have. It's possible its not detecting the RAM, or its improperly seated. Because for mosts tasks 1gb seems lightning fasts (at least on my computer).

make sure your computer is accepting the ram, if it is, you're probably just expecting too much out of the ram, RAM does not always give considerable increase in games (which i assume is where your dissapointment is coming from) if you already have the optimal amount of ram in which to run the game, another gig isn't going to help much. your processor is alright, which contributes to speed performance as well, but your videocard is lower end, which may be the source of your computer's sluggish performance

Are the ram sticks the same speed? The 256 sticks might be a slower speed than the 512 stick, which would cause the 512 to be clocked down to their speed and thus hindering performance. If I were you, I'd buy another 512 stick exactly like the first one and run them in dual channel and throw out the 2x256's.

I'm not sure, but It says 1gb there in the system properties, It just feels like sometimes if I click firefox, it takes a while to load up then it should do with 1gb.

Also the ram sticks are the same speed, 2x 256mb rated at 200mhz each. 512mb stick rated at 400 mhz, thus meaning those 256 sticks together is the equivilent.

But maybe your right, maybe I just need to get anougher 512 stick, but my problem is money, so it's hard.

It took me a while to get the 512 stick in the first place lol

IronMaiden6669 said:
I'm not sure, but It says 1gb there in the system properties, It just feels like sometimes if I click firefox, it takes a while to load up then it should do with 1gb.

Also the ram sticks are the same speed, 2x 256mb rated at 200mhz each. 512mb stick rated at 400 mhz, thus meaning those 256 sticks together is the equivilent.

But maybe your right, maybe I just need to get anougher 512 stick, but my problem is money, so it's hard.

It took me a while to get the 512 stick in the first place lol

that means that ALL of the ram sticks will be running at 200mhz...

IronMaiden6669 said:
So that means the 512 stick isn't running as it should be?

yes. Mobos are only capable to support 1 speed of ram, so all sticks need to run at the same speed. If there are 2 (or more) ram sticks with different speeds usually the mobo automatically underclocks the rest to the same speed as the slowest one is running.

Back
Top Bottom