fps drop! help!

kchi55

Fully Optimized
My friend recently changed motherboards because his first one kept giving him system crashes. it was the ASUS a5nx nf4 chipset and all. He switched to the MSI K8N Neo4-F also using the nf4 chipset. However, after this switch his fps in games dropped considerably at a range of about 30-50 fps.
his specs are as follows
AMD64 3200+
7600gt
hdd(ide?)
msi k8n neo4-f
corsair 1gb value ram
standard case powersupply.

now the hardware stayed the same minus the motherboard and the specs on each motherboard seem relatively the same. i really can't explain this fps drop, so i was hoping someone here had some insight as to the culprit of this fps malfunction.

You say this, assuming he has the correct, and most up-to-date drivers installed, correct?

I dont like that um.. Lol.

Might I inquire what he is currently using?

And odds are good its all about the PSU. The new mobo might take a bit more power which in turn limits the 7600gt, and with that you get low FPS. (I get low FPS on my computer.... [for the same reason with the same card])

Did you completly reinstall windows after the motherboard swap?

I mean, the Neo4-F is a great board and it only tails the best boards by a 2% peformance difference or so overall.

Naaa PSU is not the problem if the hardware wasnt getting enought power it would reboot, hardware isnt going to settle for less then what it needs (Power wise). Im guessing he is using the onboard sound and thats his problem. Best way to find out is to reboot the PC go into the BIOS goto "intergrated" tab and change the AC97 to Disable instead of Auto and play the games and see i the FPS drop occures.

Onboard sound doesnt cut it by 30 to 50 fps..

Not even drop by 10. 3 or 4 fps at most for onboard sound..

Yea it does actually (depends on game) wiht games like CSS and BF2 it would cut the fps by that much (If not ran in software) but other games that are not as CPU limited then no i dont think it would.

**Edit** Might be wrong but i know onboard sound makes a HUGE diff on CSS best bet is to just give it a try whats there to loose?

So your saying that because with my car I only get 80 fps (about) because im using onboard sound?

I dont think so.... Considering I have shut down all output of sound on my Pc before...

Maybe with his that COULD possibly be the problem.. but highly unlikly if you ask me..

sound does have more effect than u would think. I think that atleast 3dMark03 did one test without sound, and the exactly same test with sounds. And while using onboard sound the fps was lower when the sound was there, not sure by how much, haven't ran those tests in ages.

But if the drop in fps was between 30 and 50 then I doubt it's the sound, something like 10 fps and u could put it on the sound, but 30 fps is alot.

But if u didn't reinstall windows then that could be the problem, though the chipset is same so in most cases u don't need to reinstall, but I would still do it.

Back
Top Bottom