Divide broadband among users

Jake 1961

Beta member
Hi.. need some help here.. how can I divide my 1Mb broadband among 4 users so that no one user can "steal" the whole band's capacity? I am using a Belkin router and as far as I know it does not have this capability so I may need to use some software.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jakeb

Two options, that I'm aware of:

1. Some more advanced routers/switches provide this feature. By advanced, I mean commercial grade.
2. If you have a central server that all connections go through, running a ClarkConnect (Linux based software) can manage individual bandwidth.

These are two options that come to mind. I know that neither may be great for your purpose, but maybe someone will enlighten both of us of an easier, more cost effective way.

Jake 1961 said:
Hi.. need some help here.. how can I divide my 1Mb broadband among 4 users so that no one user can "steal" the whole band's capacity? I am using a Belkin router and as far as I know it does not have this capability so I may need to use some software.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jakeb

Well you would want to look at managed switching

Howwever, theroretically your router will divide the bandwidth equally 4 ways if all 4 computers are doing the same thing.

i would like to know the same thing.. my roommate is always downloading and is "stealing" all the broadband

Yeah same here, it really annoys me, even now my connection is really slow.
I know about certain routers offer the inbuilt capabilities but I don't have the money right now to fork out for a new one as of yet.

most managed switches limit bandwidth at incraments of 1mb so unless you have 4mb of bandwidth it wont help

Back
Top Bottom