Legal Copy, Legit Key, cannot install XP

ajrutherford

Solid State Member
Hey all,

I have a problem regarding a certain operating system (take a wild guess) that will not accept a perfectly legit (it's stickered to the bottom of the friggin laptop with Microsoft Authentic written everywhere) CD key.

I have a retail version of XP SP1 Home and a HP that needs a rebuild. When I try to use the HP key, it keeps saying no. In order to get it installed I had to use the key that came with the retail CD. Is there a way to tell this computer that the CD key I have is "ACTUALLY" real and that the machine is being dumb in the name of security?

ajrutherford said:
Hey all,

I have a problem regarding a certain operating system (take a wild guess) that will not accept a perfectly legit (it's stickered to the bottom of the friggin laptop with Microsoft Authentic written everywhere) CD key.

I have a retail version of XP SP1 Home and a HP that needs a rebuild. When I try to use the HP key, it keeps saying no. In order to get it installed I had to use the key that came with the retail CD. Is there a way to tell this computer that the CD key I have is "ACTUALLY" real and that the machine is being dumb in the name of security?
I had a problem like that recently when I had to install XP again because some stuff got screwed up. It took the key when installing but it wouldn't let me activate it so i called them and explained to them what was going on and they gave me a code and activated it for me. I have a legit copy too and i didn't understand why it was doing that. You could try calling microsoft and asking them what you can do and see if they could help.

If you call Microsoft, they will help you resolve the issue. They're pretty good about getting you activated and set up once they realize you are a legit user ;)

You cannot use any key to install windows xp. Every XP cd and factory installed computer is unique and locked to only one key. So you cannot install a retail XP with a manufacturer's key.

In your case, you can create an xp cd that is locked to the manufacturer's key (this may work for any manufacturer) without activation problems. If you havent reformatted or reinstalled xp, then you can follow these steps:
1. Search for an 'I386' folder (remember the location)
2. Download the boot image for an xp cd
3. Burn a CD boot image using the boot image and just the I386 folder (refer to your cd burning manual to find out how to install the boot image)

ajrutherford said:
Hey all,

The only reason you needed the XP retail key, is because retail CDs are locked to the key. If you are able to get ahold of an OEM disc, you can use the key on your machine.

the cd's are not locked to 1 key. they use all the keys from that specific cd printing (from the same year or whatever.)

What causes an OEM to allow keys, but a retail to not allow keys?

This is the part the confuses me. You'd think having your first degree in CS, you would have picked up on this information in class, but it never came up.

Is there a way I can edit a retail CD to work like an OEM? AnonymousI mentioned grabbing the I386 folder from the system and plugging it into a CD burn of Windows to make it work. If that's so, is it possible to get the I386 folder from an OEM disk and just recreate one from a retail disk?

Why does Windows have to be so frustrating on this matter? I wish we could just buy a key and have a copy of Windows that works. Too many clients come in expecting fixes and bring nothing. No CD's, no retore files, nothing. Just their laptop and a bunch of complaints.

Thank you again.

Yes, there is a way to do that.......

But I don't think it would be best to discuss it here- it's border-line cracking. Personally, I have never done it, but have read an ariticle somewhere about it. Ever since I worked in a computer shop, I keep 4 copies of each OEM for this purpose. Customers are always loosing there original CDs.

Note: The reason it never came up in class, is because there was not a need. If I would have just stuck with the books, and listened to the teachers, I wouldn't know half of what I know- explore, tweak, search, and anything else you can do on your own to learn- that's what I had to do. (Advice)

john123 said:
the cd's are not locked to 1 key. they use all the keys from that specific cd printing (from the same year or whatever.)

Each CD is not 'locked' to one specific key, but it's still a fact that the key from an OEM (pre-installed) version can't be used to install a retail boxed version, and vice-versa. In that sense the keys are 'locked' to a particular version.

Similarly, the key from XP Home won't allow you to install XP Pro (and vice-versa).

there are 4 pools of keys. each pool needs its own media.

OEM
Retail
MSDN
OPEN/Select
EVAL might have its own pool also

you can use any key that is keyed for a pool to install any identical pool's product

Back
Top Bottom