Computer Upgrade!

Kickerz

Baseband Member
- AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego 2.4ghz S939 $135.00
- Patriot Signature Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System $109.99
- Thermaltake TR2 W0070 ATX 430W Power Supply - Retail -$39.99
- ASUS A8R-MVP Socket 939 ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 CrossFire ATX AMD CrossFire Motherboard - Retail $86.99

Have an unused x1300 already.

Total Cost:
$410.97 (Includes Shipping and Tax)

What do you guys think? (Everything is from NewEgg if you want to check the stuff out)
Anything I should switch?

i would get a better power supply. something from fsp group/enermax/ocz/antec?
everything else looks ok... but wouldn't you rather just get a dualcore processor for just a little bit more?

You don't always have to use Newegg. Monarch Computers and ZipZoomFly have some great prices. I got my OCZ GameXstream at Monarch and it was almost $40 cheaper than Newegg's price. The shipping was even cheaper than Newegg's rates.

I'd get dual core, but I heard that there are a few compatibility issues, and that they are not yet optomized for current games (which is what im planning on playing), i don't know if its even worth the price. Is a dual core with a lower clock speed worth the extra 20-40$ (maybe more depending on socket type/mobo/memory available)?

i'm using the 3800x2 right now, which would be the one that you're referring to that is 20-30 dollars more.. umm, i definitely think it's worth the price, and compatibility issues have been cleared up. actually, i've never ran into any issues before with my cpu and i got it right when it came out so, yeah. um, the s939 dual core cpus are great, they put the pentium d's to shame and their price is pretty irresistable. it's true that there aren't any games that require or utilize the dualcore technology to it's fullest potential, but wouldn't you be happier that once it comes out you COULD handle those games, instead of being stuck with a very high end single core processor that cannot handle the game regardless of it's higher clock speed.

really don't skimp out on the power supply. i suggest 60 dollars + on a 500 watt + psu to be on the safe side. though a 400watt power supply will be able to sustain an x1300, it would suck if your computer was fried just because you underestimated the value and necessity to purchase a solid and stable power supply with ample amounts of wattage.

Just so you know, the X1300 is a pretty pathetic card... Those two PSU's he picked out are also not bad for the price; especially the Thermaltake. It has really great reviews on Newegg for its price. However, I'd get something a little more expensive like KChi said.

hey, if I can play HL2 with my 1.8ghz p4, 512mb ram, 9800pro 128, and a 350watt psu. I think i'll be fine with the upgrades i chose, thanks for the help guys.

Back
Top Bottom