how to make a MMORPG

Dnsgm

Baseband Member
Hey everyone,
I've been programming a long time now, and now I want to make a MMORPG.
So how do I exactly connect the Client with the Server?

Not exactly, but whipping up one isn't the problem. We're only worried about connecting the Server with the Client.

Connecting the client with the server isn't realy a problem, the best thing I can say is check out how to do socket programming,

Basically you set up a server to listen for connections on a certain port, ou then set up a client to make connections on that port, you establish a connection and transfer data accordingly.

Where would it be best for us to start off with this socket programming? and how should we approach it?

What are you programming in?

What do you mean where to start or how to approach it.. Take a look at some games a PScode.com if you want, learn from the other source

if you're taking about the actual game, we used visual basic, but as for the socket programming, we still don't know.

is socket programming like unix or C?

connections to sockets can be made with just about any program,

Visual basic has socket connection abilities, you need to look in the toolbox options, there is a winsock compnent that can be added to enable you to set up socket connections...

the server side could be written in any language, I think that Unix sockets in C are the easiest to deal with, but you might not think the same, it really depends on what you know.

have you decided what information you are going to send through the sockets yet? (e.g are you sending text and graphics if you can, or are you keeping network traffic to a minimum?)

You're basically that both sides can understand each other even if the 2 are written in completely different languages?

Can you explain more of this Unix Sockets in C?

Yes, both Text and Graphics.

yes, both sides can understand each other even if they are written in different languages, that's how come you could make a web browser in VB and have to get information from an apache server written in C...

anyway...
Unix sockets. (I'm really not explaining everything, just giving you some stuff to google).

Unix sockets are Berkley Sockets. it's a standard open model for socket programming, (and one that is not available in windows).

There is a very standard way to set up a socket, basically you open the socket and have the socket listen for connections.

when the socket recieves a connection it creates what is called a fork, a new socket is created, (at a higher port usually), and the server send s a reply through the first socket telling the client to open the higher socket, (usually above port 1024), and the server then sends replies to the higher end of the socket, whilst recieving requests on it's regular service port.

ports are threaded, (fork basically means a new processor thread), this is how a server can both listen for new requests, and process and reply requests at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom